Screen shuts off with Intel HD 3000 graphics Chipset on Dell Vostro 3550

When installed, Windows 8 Release Preview automatically shuts off my laptop's screen (Dell Vostro 3550). (No, it doesn't blank the screen. The screen shuts completely off. I can tell this by the backlight shutting off as well.) This is before it reaches the boot menu, thus preventing me from gaining control of my computer. The boot screen in the installer works fine, and this machine ran the Dev Preview perfectly. 

This problem was also a known problem of the CP version of Windows 8. Alle suggestions in other answers and forum topics won't work. Can I provide any help to solve this problem?

This thread on answer.microsoft.com is just closed because of the new version of Windows 8. The only problem is that the problem isn't solved in the new version. Link: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/screen-shuts-off-after-boot-animation/6cdf4078-d17b-4a58-bcce-d97fd98c95eb?page=7&tm=1338561416968

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi ArjanVApl,

I sent a private message requesting more information regarding the issue with your screen automatically shutting off.

Dena

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Dena, I am still having this problem as well and it has not been solved from with  the Release Preview.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Do I need to open a separate question in order to get a response to this?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I created a official feedback item on connect. I will post a answer here when the problem has been solved

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

All systems with Intel embedded HD graphic chipsets are having the same problem, we've now tested this on five(5) separate systems. The issue is the driver. To prove it, plug an external display into your laptop to get video access (your laptop screen will be disabled by Widows when it 'snaps' the driver into full accelerated video). Login locally and go to the legacy desktop, right click and select 'personalize', left click on 'change desktop icons' and enable the control panel and computer desktop icons to give you easy access to overall settings going forward.

On the desktop, right click 'computer' and left click 'properties', left click 'device manager' in the dialog that opens. In the device manager tree, fold out the 'display adapters' triangle by left clicking on it, right click on the Intel driver it shows and click on 'disable'. Clear any warnings (they are all bogus, your display is already non-functional) and apply the settings. Reboot the machine and your onboard monitor should remain enabled by Windows being forced to use its generic backup video driver. This driver will see a 'generic PNP monitor' of type 'other' and lock into a 1024 x 768 display finally allowing you to see your laptop display (albeit at a sub-optimal resolution).

We've tested the Intel Win8 beta drivers which appear to be nothing more than the non-functional Win7 drivers with the HWIDs modified (my guess just a very hasty kludge by Intel to settle what appears to be an increasingly angry user base in public forums belittling their lack of prep... looks like the potential impact social networking can have on future margins is resonating with some of their sharper execs :) Since all the hardware vendors usually just take the chipset reference drivers from Intel and tweak them for their own platforms their latest are all DOA as well (we've tried them all on Dell, Toshiba and Acer units).

I'm sure whoever was on holidays at Intel during the latest Win8 release is now back and suddenly doing some serious work under the smokescreen while the tier one vendors are all carefully reconsidering whether to bet any of their initial gear with Intel's embedded HD sets. They know they can always blame Intel on the lack of existing device support but consumers are fickle, informed and will quickly vote with their checkbooks on the next round of HW. I'm sure we'll see 'real' drivers soon enough.

Tim

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The Intel report file is saying that its not their fault now. Is there ANY solution to this??

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The Vostro 3550 has switchable graphics, it has both ATI and Intel graphics, normally the ATI kicks in when you hve more intensive graphics.  Intel say to switch to ATI and use their driver but as yet I havent been able to install the ATI drivers ... which are needed to turn off the graphic switching.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

But how come nothing is detecting these ATI graphics? I've tried everything and searched everywhere and Intel's post is the first I've heard about them. There's also no way of switching in the BIOS that I can see, so I'm not entirely sure they are correct. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The ATI graphics are not being detected because there isnt a Windows 8 compatable driver to detect them.  If you put Windows 7 on then the driver will work and you will see the ATI info. 

There is NOT a setting in the BIOS to switch the 'switchable graphcs' on or off but you do need the latest BIOS to enable the switch on/off in the ATI software, without the latest BIOS the option in the software is not available, so Intel are partly right.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My problem is after all the initial confusion with installing and having a blank screen, I no longer have Win 7 installed on the laptop. 

I don't suppose AMD will be in a rush to make a driver available.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 28, 2017 Views 2,050 Applies to: