Running Windows 8 from Bootable USB 3.0. Will not work from USB 3.0 ports, only 2.0.

I created a USB 3.0 Windows 8 Stick.  It works flawlessly and it finds all the drivers on the PC's that I boot it from.  The only caveat is that I have to boot it from the USB 2.0 ports.  It is not recognized in the 3.0 ports.  I noticed recently a USB 3.0 stick on Newegg from Kingston that is Windows 8 certified.  My question is do I need a specific USB 3.0 to make this a faster stick, or is there something I missed in the BCD boot command string to enable 3.0 capability.  By the way, it is about time that Microsoft took a page from Linux to boot an OS from a flash drive, extremely handy!!!

Hi,

I'm just making a guess... The installer doesn't have the necessary drivers for the USB 3.0 chip, or the USB 3.0 chip is not the primary USB 3.0 device...

Some devices have more than one USB 3.0 controller... One as part of the processor chipset (AMD or Intel), and another 3rd party controller like ASMedia, JMicron, and others....

If you were to use the 3rd party controller, it may not be bootable, but the other might be...

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thats what I was wondering, however, since Windows 8 is on a bootable USB, it is up to the OS to come up with generic drivers with each new PC that it is used on.  Technically speaking, if the driver is not in the boot file to recognize the USB controller, it cannot open it.  When I start a PC up and change the boot order to USB, it will find USB 2.0 but not 3.0.  I do not know enough about boot files to say one way or another which is correct.

We are all Bozo's on this Bus

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

When you start the PC and change the boot order, you are making a change in the bios setting I would think... This has nothing to do with whether the windows installer has drivers for USB 3.0 or not..

I'm not sure how your bios distinguishes between USB 2.0 and 3.0.

Sorry this didn't help.

That is what I was thinking too.  However, I have tried this USB on 6 or 7 different PC's with USB 3.0 Ports.  None of them boot or recognize the stick when plugged into 3.0 ports.  All of them do when plugged into USB 2.0.  All that is in the Bios is USB support for 2.0, 3.0 or possible legacy 3.0

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I don't know what is going on, but if you have this problem on multiple machines, I would think that points to an issue with the Flash Drive itself...

I've never tried this except with a USB 2.0 drive, so I guess I'm not the best person to troubleshoot it...

It's possible that there is some way the drive is formatted, or the image is burned that is a problem...

You are correct that the machine would have to detect the drive before it even got to the point of installing drivers...

Sorry this didn't help.

The stick is a generic brand sold by Micro Center.  USB 3.0 64Gb.  Brand new, ran diskpart to clean and format as follows

•Diskpart 
 •List disk 
 •Select disk # 
 •Clean 
 •Create partition primary
 •Format fs=ntfs quick
 •Assign 
 •Active 
 •Exit

Pulled in the install.wim file from my Win 8 ISO with a handy little progam called Gimagex.

Finally I ran this cmd string to make the drive bootable. 

bcdboot.exe d:\windows /s d:

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

So is my understanding that you can now boot from USB 3.0 correct?

If so, good deal... I learned something too.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

No, just giving a detailed explanation of how I made the stick.  I can boot this 3.0 stick from a 2.0 port, but not a 3.0 port.  I figure the problem is one of two things.  Either the mfr is lying about it being a 3.0, or there is some hidden step I have missed.  There are two different cmd strings to make the stick bootable.  The one I listed earlier is if you create the stick on a PC that is running Win7, the other is if you create it on a PC running Win 8 (bcdboot.exe d:\windows /s d: /f ALL).  I am thinking that if I create the stick on a Win 8 PC running the second string it may solve the problem, but that is a stretch.  I still can't understand why it is not recognized in the boot order when it is plugged into a 3.0 port.  Either there needs to be additional boot.ini info or like I said earlier, the stick is defective or not a 3.0

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Sorry...I thought you may have fixed it...

It is possible that the Drive isn't functioning properly, or isn't actually 3.0....

The plug should be blue if it is 3.0, but it could have a blue plug and not be working properly...

Look at the pictures of flash drives at NewEgg for instance. Other than the color, your can see a difference in the connectors in the actual plug...

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there. You can check this website out. I was successful with booting my external USB 3.0 HDD through creating a virtual drive on the external HDD and then use an application named PWBOOT. Anyway the instructions are on the website. You can check it out. Good luck !

http://www.texplr.com/2012/11/install-and-boot-windows8-from-external-hard-disk.html

Hope it's alright to post links on threads. It's my first post here !

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 30, 2020 Views 6,033 Applies to: