Num Lock not turned on when booting Windows 8

Hi everyone,

After turning on my system after loading Windows 8, the Num Lock does not turn on automatically as it is set in my BIOS.  I followed suggestions given in the forums and changed the registry entries for the InitialKeyboardIndicators key in the registry to have a value of 2.  This still does not work.

What I noticed is that if I sign off in Windows 8 and then select shut down after signing out, the num lock light will be on after rebooting my system.  However, if I go into settings and power off directly without signing off, num lock is turned off when I reboot my PC.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Michael

|
Answer
Answer
Try:
Control Panel => Hardware and Sound => Power Options => System Settings
Uncheck (Turn on fast startup).

T.E.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

I cannot find the suggested path in Windows 8.1's Control Panel.

See my hints on page 1 of this thread?   There is no direct path there.   You must take the detour via the "Choose what the power buttons do" link.   That's what I described as:   Win-X O, Tab, Tab, Enter.

BTW I am now using the W8.2 on Surface RT and although it has the above link it doesn't have any way of achieving the ultimate objective (of turning off "Fast Startup").   I do remember that I would have been using a real W8.1 to make my observations.  However, since this is essentially a BIOS function I now suspect you are more likely to be able to do something similar via the Advanced Restart function.   So, see if instead you can do what you need via  Win-w Advanced Startup Enter (and then Restart from there).

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 27, 2021 Views 109,587 Applies to: