No BIOS on Windows 8? Impossible to boot from other devices.

So 2 months ago I updated my laptop: Toshiba Satellite P870 to Windows 8 Pro from Windows 7. It works fine, but no matter how I boot it (cold boot, restart to boot options, restart etc.), it entirely skips the BIOS screen that was present on Windows 7 (It said something like TOSHIBA or H20 BIOS). It just goes directly to windows 8 with no other options or possibilities. I have tried all different combinations of F2, F8, F12, Delete, ESC, etc., but it is impossible to access the BIOS or boot options. Now, ordinarily this wouldn't be a problem because windows 8 has that great built in boot options menu. Unfortunately on my computer in the boot options menu, there is no "Use another Device" option. I am currently working with linux and recovery boots from usb drives, which is now impossible to do thanks to this problem with Windows 8.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft forums.

What is the make and model of the computer?

I would like to tell you that The BIOS is completely independent of any operating system you might install. This is because the boot up process starts with the BIOS, then passes control to whatever boot programs are stored on the hard disk.

I would recommend you to post this query in Toshiba support forum:

Refer:
http://forums.toshiba.com/

For any other windows related issue, reply to us and we will be happy to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 14, 2020 Views 892 Applies to: