Nexus 7 not recognized by Windows 8 64 bit

I have a Google nexus 7 32 gb with sim card, and I  have a problem. The first time I connected the nexus to my laptop running windows 8 os  64 BIT , I was able to view all the folders. But, subsequently, each time I plug in I used to get a message of this sort

"the last USB device connected to this computer malfunctioned & windows does not recognise it"

I downloaded this driver from the ASUS site

Version  R06
Nexus 7 USB driver for Windows
Install this ADB(Android Debug Bridge) driver to proceed with debugging on Nexus

extracted the downloaded zipped file and copied it to the "drivers folder" in the computer.  I am not sure if I did the right thing but, some driver was installed and, I am now able to see the nexus as an digital camera. But, all the other files and folders are not accessible and the same error message comes again.

PLEASE HELP ME

Hello,

Would you mind deleting your post on the previous thread and we will begin fresh with this post.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/nexus-7-connection-to-win-8/d421ef57-d00b-4f4e-8034-cadf58d5ddd3

What changes occurred just after your initial viewing of the folders to now?

Are you doing a Plug 'n Play or using software such as Samsung Kies

Did you try to install the driver using compatibility mode?

Go into settings and click on Storage and menu and choose use computer connection

Pat

As a responsible member of the community, please mark the reply that has resolved your issue. Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Ok.

Ans 1.  I have two computers, one running on XP SP3, and the other on WIN 8.
Initially, I could view the folders  on both the systems, and I also transferred some files from the XP system to the Nexus.

But, unfortunately, I had to format and re install the OS for the XP due to software issues. (slow startup & shut down errors, since it is an old system).

and, I also had to, almost simultaneously,  reset the WIN 8 system to factory settings, since one of my external software was not compatible with WIN 8 and therefore, it crashed.

since then, I have been having this issue with the Nexus on both systems.

Ans 2.  I am doing a plug & play.

Ans 3.  No. I did not try to install the driver with compatibility mode. (I did not know how to) but I have tried to run the compatibility wizard now, and I have also tried to change the compatibility manually , but there are no .exe files in the driver folders. Both The amd64 folder and the i386 folder contain only .dll files and security catalog files.

Ans 4.  it is on MTP mode. and that is when I get the message "the last USB device connected to this computer malfunctioned & windows does not recognise it"  and the funny thing is that, the DSC mode on WIN 8 is also not working now. I get the same message as in MTP mode.

The DSC mode stopped working after I  used system restore again, to restore the computer to a state before this driver's installation, and then I re installed the driver one final time. By re install, I mean, extract the files to the drivers folder.  And after this, the DSC is not working.

I have downloaded the same drivers from Asus into the XP SP3 system and the DSC mode is working well there, but not the MTP mode.

Question.

I wonder if system restore has anything to do with this malfunction?.   Because,

1.  the  first time, I restored the WIN 8 system and formatted & reinstalled XP SP3 on the other, after which MTP stopped working on both.

2.  The second time, after installing the new  driver, I restored the WIN 8, after which the DSC also stopped working. But, since I have not done anything to the XP system after installing the new drivers, DSC is still working there.

"A Happy New Year To You Too"

I hope that all this has not become to complicated  to understand and resolve.

Sorry this didn't help.

Quite possibly system restore contributed if the device worked prior to the restoration.

Plug in the deice

On Metro UI desktop type Device Manager
Click + next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers
Right click the USB
Click Uninstall
then Reboot computer while device is inserted in USB

Windows will reinstall

Verify you can/cannot see folders

HOW TO: Install a Software Application using Compatibility Mode

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproappcompat/thread/cdd894f8-1ee2-43e5-952b-d04c25779a7f

HOW TO: Install a Hardware Device Driver using Compatibility Mode

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/80cae5ee-dc98-4a2f-8284-a1ab826059b7

Follow the solution steps listed if the above did not work

Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows

Use the manual directions mentioned in the article.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/hardware_device_problems/en-us

USB port may stop working after you remove or insert a USB device

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817900

Backup Windows Registry before making changes

Microsoft Knowledge Base: 322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Pat

As a responsible member of the community, please mark the reply that has resolved your issue. Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

thanks!  your post was very helpful. i managed to get the real nexus 7 device, and the virtual device, to run on windows 8.  for the physical device, the asus driver can be found here:

http://www.service.asus.com/#!downloads/c1wax

hint, connect the device to the usb port of the windows 8 computer to see nexus 7  listed in the list of devices on the win 8 computer.  download and install the device driver.  should be good to go.

for getting the virtual device to work, this link proved useful.

Sorry this didn't help.

You're welcome and thank you for the "hint".  Have a good day.
Pat

Sorry this didn't help.

Connect your Nexus 7 (mine was 1st Gen. Nexus 7 32GB)

On Window 8.1 x64

Make sure Media Sync (MTP) is selected as USB connection type

I had USB Debugging ON when this worked for me.

In Windows 8.1 go to Devices and Printers.

Find your Nexus 7 and right click. It should be under Multimedia devices

Properties Button

Hardware Tab

Properties Button

A new window will open

Driver Tab

Roll Back Driver Button.

It should then work instantly.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks dude - the rollback fixed it instantly.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a Nexus 7 that works fine with Windows 7.  However, my laptop has Windows 8 (fully-up- to-date) and Windows 8 doesn't recognise the Nexus 7.  

I have tried to run one of the fix-it.exe programs recommended by this site but its says that it isn't the right version of fix-it (well why recommend it in the first place?).

I have run the program compatibility trouble shooter and it says "Invalid BT address string" but I have no idea of what that means.  i think it is something about bluetooth when I am trying to use a USB cable (the same cable that works with Windows 7).

I have contacted Google but they say this is a Windows issue.

I have contacted Microsoft Support before and received no reply.  

Is there anything else I can do?  (Except perhaps never buy Windows 8 - even Microsoft seem to want to dump it as fast as they can).

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Have you tried changing the ports on the computer?

Go to Nexus, storage, USB Computer connection and changed the setting from PTP to MTP.  See if that helps.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/windows-explorer-in-windows-81-will-not-recognize/8344cbb6-7f00-4439-995d-6df1a00148ec

Pat

Sorry this didn't help.

Similar setup with a Nexus 5 failing to fastboot connected to Window 8.1 x64.

I had to remove the driver of the Android ADB Interface (under the category - Android Device) in Device Manager.  Then re-install said driver after installing the current Google USB driver and updating with their SDK.

Tony Pedretti

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 28, 2018 Views 21,595 Applies to: