Need to restart my laptop every time to get sound.

Original title: Problems With Windows 8 Sound

Hi ,

I got a problem with Sound in Windows 8 Operating System (hP G60 model)..Device drivers are installed properly ..!! I need to restart my laptop every time problem occurs..if i restart the laptop,  sound is working fine..!!..I have no idea why its not coming sound when i first switch on laptop.!every time i need to restart laptop for sound.! one more problem is if i haven't used laptop for 15-20min it goes sleeping  mode and  when i  used back - again facing same problem.!!..Does i need to install any drivers?..Does it require?..Plz help me out..Thank your for your help in advance.!!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Dhana,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community Forums.

Based on the information, you are unable to get sound when you switch on the laptop and sound will come back after a restart. Also when the laptop is not used for 15-20min it goes to Sleep mode.

It would be helpful if you could reply to the questions to assist you better.

1. Have you made any recent software or hardware changes on the system?

2. Do you have any external speakers connected?

3. What is the exact model number of the HP laptop?

Let’s try the following steps and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Check to see if the computer speakers are set to be default.

a. Open the classic Control Panel by typing "Control Panel" at the home screen and clicking the "Control Panel" icon.

b. In the Control Panel navigate to "Hardware and Sound" and then click "Sound".

c. On the Playback tab, select the speakers and then click the "Set Default" button.

d. Click or touch "Apply".

Method 2:

You may try running the Audio troubleshooter and check if it helps.

No sound in Windows

Method 3:

If the issue persists, you may try to uninstall and reinstall the sound drivers and check if it helps.

Step 1:

Uninstall the graphic card drivers.

a. Right click on the bottom left corner on the desktop (on Start Screen) and select Device manager.

b. Expand Sound video and game controller and right-click on sound driver and select ‘uninstall’.

c. Restart the computer.

Step 2:

You may also try to install the latest version of sound card drivers for Windows 8 from HP support website and check if it helps.

If Windows 8 drivers are not available, you may try installing Windows 7 drivers in compatibility mode and check if it helps:

Follow these steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

a. Download the driver from the manufacturer’s website.

b. Right-click on the driver setup file and click on ‘properties’.

c. Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 7 operating system from the drop down menu.

d. Click on ‘Apply’ and click ‘OK’ and run the file to install it.

Regarding the sleep mode issue, you may try changing the Power option settings and check if it helps.

Method 1:

You may try to install the latest version of Chipset and graphic card drivers for Windows 8 from HP support website and check if it helps.

Method 2:

You may also try the following steps and check if it helps.

a. Open Power Options by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping Search (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then clicking Search), entering Control Panel in the search box, tapping or clicking Apps, and then tapping or clicking Control Panel.

b. In Control Panel, enter Power in the search box, and then press Enter.

c. Change when the computer sleeps and select "Never" for sleep option.

Check if it helps

For further information, refer to the article:

Power plans: Frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/power-plans-faq

Hope the information helps.

Let us know if you need further assistance with Windows related issues. We will be happy to help.

89 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have this same problem. When I start my PC I have no sound. I need to restart to get sound.

This problem only started when the PC updated to 8.1 from 8.

I have tried  all the above. As well as new drivers.

Please help

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jody,

1. What is the make and model of the computer?

2. Do you receive any error codes or messages?

This issue may occur if the sound card drivers are not installed properly.

You may try to uninstall and reinstall the sound card drivers in Windows 8 compatibility mode.

a. Press Windows key + X on the desktop Screen and select Device manager.

b. Expand sound, video and game controllers. Right-click the audio device, and then click Uninstall to remove it.

c. Restart the computer.

You may refer to the computer manufacturer website and install the Windows 8.1 version of sound card and chipset drivers and check.

Also check for BIOS updates.

Important: Modifying BIOS (Basic input output system)/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance with Windows related issues. We will be happy to help.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, I have same problem.. But I can't set mine to default.. I don't know why, Please Help Me

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Hemza,

2. Are you also facing the issue with Windows 8?

You may try to uninstall and reinstall the sound card drivers in Windows 8 compatibility mode.

a. Press Windows key + X on the desktop Screen and select Device manager.

b. Expand sound, video and game controllers. Right-click the audio device, and then click Uninstall to remove it.

c. Restart the computer.

You may refer to the computer manufacturer website and install the Windows 8.1 version of sound card and chipset drivers and check.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance with Windows related issues. We will be happy to help.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, I'm sorry for bothering you but.. It comes out with Properties only.. I can't find Uninstall button.. Do I have to be an administrator?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Hemza,

Thank you for the updates.

You need to be logged in as an Administrator to perform these steps. You need use an administrator account to perform any major task or installing or uninstalling programs or drivers on the computer.

For further information, refer to the article:

User accounts: FAQ  

Let us know if you need further assistance with Windows related issues. We will be happy to help.

Sorry this didn't help.

This problem is intensely annoying. I have found a solution that works for me. It isn't permanent as you have to do it each time the speakers stop, but it is better than restarting all the time.

Go to Device Manager
Right click on Sound video and game controllers
and click "scan for hardware changes"

That works for me.

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jody,

2. Do you receive any error codes or messages?

a. Press Windows key + X on the desktop Screen and select Device manager.

b. Expand sound, video and game controllers. Right-click the audio device, and then click Uninstall to remove it.

c. Restart the computer.

Also check for BIOS updates.

Important: Modifying BIOS (Basic input output system)/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hi,

I am facing the same problem.  I have a Dell i3 notebook running Window 8. Sound was ok till last week. Suddenly it stopped working. Every time I start notebook I have to uninstall Realtek driver and then restart the notebook and install the driver to make the sound work.  I did all the steps listed above but of no use. I still face the problem.  Please help

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey ChelTel,

I ended up doing the same thing by clicking on "scan for hardware changes" and then they work. I don't know why this is happening but it started happening as soon as i once switched on my laptop and my laptop screen remained blank with just the lights on :( I couldn't switch if off properly so i just pressed the on/off button until it shut down again. Then i had the beginning of this problem.. it's really annoying -.-

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 10, 2020 Views 68,986 Applies to: