missing settings for Bluetooth windows 8

if I type in 'bluetooth' in to search i find: "add a bluetooth device" and "bluetooth settings" 
I do not see "Turn wireless communication on or off" 
and in PC Settings screen" there is no wireless tab (e.g. http://www.logitech.com/assets/46450/10/windows-8-start-screen.jpg). 

if bluetooth adapter is /!\ (frozen for unknown reason, windows does not give error, just hides the link to bluetooth settings link in smartscreen). 

Bluetooth 2.0 adapters ($2 chinese ebay adapters) don't work in windows 8, even if device is recognised and installed.  My bluetooth devices are working now after buying new 3.0 adapter (even though my device is 2.0)

Windows 8 help says:
"If your PC can connect to wireless devices, check that Bluetooth is turned on. Open PC settings by swiping in from the right-hand edge of the screen and tapping Search (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the top-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, then clicking Search). Enter Bluetooth in the search box, tap or click Settings, then tap or click Turn wireless communication on or off. Under Wireless devices, tap or click the Bluetooth control to turn it on. "

When Bluetooth does not work on windows (any version), there is no message saying why.. nothing to say bluetooth is functioning or not. like clicking connect to network but not showing is any network hardware is connected. 

Question Info

Last updated July 20, 2018 Views 83,732 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

i love windows and microsoft but i have never liked windows bluetooth management for the reason above. 

at least in winodws 8 now I know how to diagnose if there is a problem; I search for 'bluetooth' in smartscreen and if 'change bluetooth settings' does not show, I know windows bluetooth management has stopped working / is disfunctional or bluetooth adapter is not connected, and I need to troubleshoot before it will work.  Pity most people would give up before figuring that out. 

click a button to "add Bluetooth" device, it searches for over one minute, does not find anything, may as well put it in the rubbish... but could have been prevented if the same function that enables  'change bluetooth settings' in the smart screen was reversed to say no adapter or adapter problem during bluetooth device search. 

if you can not find 'change bluetooth settings' in the smart screen, then bluetooth won't work!, good things to do are;  
restart computer, go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Devices and Printers: look for a warning or timer over the bluetooth adapter icon, click on adapter icon and click troubleshoot.  
Another time I had a problem with 'bluesoleil' program (not compatible with windows 8) this program also disables windows 8 from finding bluetooth devices (needs uninstall), messes up "device manager" driver (check device manager driver).
if you manage to find 'change bluetooth settings' then you can open it and change "allow Bluetooth devices to find this computer" and see if that helps (this should not be required). 

Even if there is a bluetooth device in the the 'devices and printers' list this seems to mean nothing, driver can be installed but somehow windows ignores the adapter all together, and becuase it is not working 'change bluetooth settings' are not accessible.  

15 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Yes cheap hardware will not be reliable even if it works at all.

Try this :

Turn OFF the Bluetooth device.

On Computer Charms Bar -> Settings -> Change PC Settings -> Devices

HOLD the Power Button on the device for 8+ seconds until the BLUE light starts to flash.

Device has entered pairing mode - on computer click "Search for Devices"

Install or update drivers if needed though Windows 8/8.1 will have many.

If paired -> Control Panel -> Sound - Playback Devices - set as Default if desired.

============================================

Some troubleshooting methods :

Microsoft - Hardware and Drivers
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/hardware-drivers-help#hardware-drivers-help=windows-8

Why isn't Windows finding my device?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/why-isnt-windows-finding-device

What if a device isn't installed properly
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/what-device-isnt-installed-properly

BluetoothView is a small utility that runs in the background, and monitor the activity of
Bluetooth devices around you. For each detected Bluetooth device, it displays the following
information: Device Name, Bluetooth Address, Major Device Type, Minor Device Type, First
Detection Time, Last Detection Time, and more. BluetoothView can also notify you when a
new Bluetooth device is detected, by displaying a balloon in your taskbar or by playing a
small beep sound. - FREE
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/bluetooth_viewer.html

BluetoothCL is a small console application that dumps all current detected bluetooth devices
into the standard output. For each Bluetooth device, the following information is displayed:
MAC Address, Name, Major Device Type, Minor Device Type, and optionally the company
name of the device (if external file of MAC addresses - oui.txt is provided) - FREE
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/bluetoothcl.html

BluetoothLogView is a small utility that monitors the activity of Bluetooth devices around
you,  and displays a log of Bluetooth devices on the main window. Every time that a new
Bluetooth device arrives to your area and when the device leaves your area, a new log line
is added with the following information: Device Name, Device Address, Event Time, Event
Type ('Device Arrival' or 'Device Left'), Device Type, and the company that created the device.
BluetoothLogView also allows you to specify a description for every device (according to its
 MAC address) that will appear under the 'Description' column. - FREE
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/bluetooth_log_view.html

Hope this helps.

Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP <- profile - Windows Expert - Consumer : Bicycle <- Mark Twain said it right!

Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT 2010 - current
Windows Insider MVP 2016 - current

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

your reply is assuming that the external blue tooth devices is the one failing. The problem reported here is that the Blutooth settings options is not showing up. There blutooth antenna/or device in MY Computer is not working. As if I had no internal blutooth antena installed.

How to troubleshoot this???

Fer Villegas

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Well I actually think it is a hardware issue so I would contact the manufacturer of the
computer and the device.

You can't fix hardware with software.

Rob - SpiritX
Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT 2010 - current
Windows Insider MVP 2016 - current

Sorry this didn't help.

right but what i am saying is that the bluetooth setting under wireless device is not showing. i cant turn bluetooth on because i cannot see it.

483 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

right but what i am saying is that the bluetooth setting under wireless device is not showing. i cant turn bluetooth on because i cannot see it.

Hi, I guess after updating your OS  disabled your Bluetooth for unknown reason (not really sure though).

So, first you have to identify if your bluetooth device manager is working or "enabled" 

Administrative Tools>Computer Management>System Tools>Device Manager

then right-click  Bluetooth at the right pane then enable it. This works to me I hope  it helps you.

-dx-

13 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

HEY

I faced the same problem for a long time. Finally i figured out the solution myself.

Go to Windows C: Drive>SWSetup>Drivers>RaWiFi>Run the setup. 

The computer will re-install wifi and bluetooth.

Worked perfectly for me.

Let me know if it works!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

My problem is a bit opposite. the bluetooth works fine but I can't see the switch so i can't turn it off. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello dx.  I enabled the bluetooth device manager and viola, it's now working.

thanks for the help.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem occasionally on my Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro. I was able to find a solution by searching "Wireless" and choosing "Turn Wireless Devices on or off". On that screen three choices are available, Airplane Mode, WiFi, and Bluetooth. I turn Bluetooth on and then try searching Bluetooth again, and there it was..

Sorry this didn't help.