Lenovo Z580 not detecting the SD card inserted in its inbuilt SD Card Reader after upgrading to Windows 8.

Original Title: lenovo z580,windows 8,memory card question

I got a lenovo z580 laptop and it has got a sd memory card slot , I recently upgraded it to windows 8 and I lost a lot of driver packages like dolbyb home theatre , intelligent touch pad ,lenovo energy management etc, so I bought a sandisk 64 micro sdxc  card and ,I put it in a sd adapter and inserted it in the available sd memory slot on my laptop, and the computer does not read ir detect the memory car, no error message is shown nothing is detected, the memory card is a brand new one ,i have not used it for anything else,

PS. help me I beg you.

Question Info

Last updated February 19, 2020 Views 8,169 Applies to:

Hi Sybell,

For a better understanding of the issue, I would request you to answer to this question:

Did you try using the SD card on another computer and is it working fine?

This issue might due to the out-dated SD Card Reader drivers installed in the computer. The computer might be still using the old drivers which were installed for the previous operating system. So, in order to resolve this issue, we need to update the SD Card Reader drivers for your laptop and check if that helps. You may follow these steps and check if you are able to install the latest drivers for the SD card Reader.

Update the Drivers

Step 1: Check the Windows Updates for any latest driver updates.

Check in Windows updates if any driver updates are available. If so, install the same and check if it helps.

a)       Press “Windows Logo” + “W” keys from the keyboard.

b)       Type “Updates” in the search bar and click on “Install optional updates” from the left pane.

c)       From the “Windows Update” window, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner, to receive a fresh list of updates and then install all the updates listed there.

If Windows Update was unable to find any latest drivers for your laptop, then you may download and install the latest drivers from the Lenovo website.

Step 2: Update Driver Software from the Manufacturer’s website:

Go to the Lenovo website and search for the latest Windows 8 drivers available for the SD Card Reader and then install it by following the instructions given in the website. You may download the latest SD Card Reader drivers for your laptop from this link:

Realtek Cardreader Driver for Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit, 64-bit) - IdeaPad Z380, Z480, Z580

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS031246

If you need any other Windows 8 drivers for you laptop model, you may get them from this link:

Drivers and software - IdeaPad Z580 Notebook

http://support.lenovo.com/en_IN/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&DocID=HT073553

Hope this resolves the issue. If you need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to reply. We’ll be glad to assist you further.

Regards,
Rajesh Govind - Microsoft Support Engineer

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I downloaded the driver and it said that it was usb 2.0 ,and my lenovo z580 is usb 3.0,i know that it will not affect the transfer but the speed,idc about that,but after I installed the realtek driver that u gave me the link,I could see my 64 gb micro sdxc card  :D  ,but when I try to transfer a file or send a file to that card it says - the disk is write-protected , remove the write protection or use another disk,i cannot copy any file to it.

Also FYI  the card had 2 empty folders ie LOST.DIR and .android_secure. and it had no locker programme in it which seems strange coz all high end sandisk products used to have it ,a password lock or something to open the card.

PS. Please help me sir

Sorry this didn't help.

also when I remove the microsdxc from the adapter and put it in a usb card reader ,it doesn't read on computer.Please help me

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Sybell,

Thank you for replying with the troubleshooting results. Please do provide more information regarding this issue.

1.       What is the make and model of the external USB Card Reader that you have used?

2.       What is its status in Device Manager?

3.       By mentioning “password lock or something to open the card”, are you referring to the notch on the SD card which is used to unlock it?

Please do get back to us with the answers to these questions. We’ll be glad to assist you further.

Regards,
Rajesh Govind - Microsoft Support Engineer

Sorry this didn't help.

Go to your windows 8 interface and search Device manager. Click to device manager and go through it. It will display so many names of devices . Then search for your device , press right click on it and click to update software for your device automatically.
Hope it will work as it did for me.  :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Go to this site   http://drivers.softpedia.com/dyn-postdownload.php/950557be8f945e596997fe1a27d83574/54aadafa/59166/0/1

then download driver then reboot your laptop and your laptop will read your SD card.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

thanks alot rajesh. i had exact same problem in z500 lenovo and my sd card was not being detected. i downloaded this realtek card reader software and now it is working fine!!

Sorry this didn't help.