Laserjet P1005 will not print

After installing Windows 8, I can't get my Laserjet P1005 to print. At first, I was getting an error message saying the printer couldn't print then I found an answer to a similar problem suggesting I  Uncheck the "Enable bidirectional support" .
I did that and after a restart, the error had gone but while watching the "see what's printing" dialog box, I can see the document status show spooling then printing then disappears but never gets printed.
I'm quite impressed with Win 8 but this problem is driving me potty. 
I've installed the latest drivers via the compatibility page at Microsoft after removing the printer first but still no joy. 

Question Info

Last updated September 13, 2013 Views 6,785 Applies to:

Hi Tony,

You may refer to the following HP support link and try updating the printer drivers in Windows 7 compatibility mode and check.

HP Drivers and Software

a. Right click the driver setup file and select Properties.

b. Click the compatibility tab, tick the box next to Run this program in compatibility mode for and select Windows 7.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, thanks for reply.
I did exactly what you suggested but I still couldn't get anything to print off.
However, I have got the printer working another way. I decided just to make sure that the printer was not at fault by connecting my laptop via usb to the printer. This printed ok.

I actually did this while the driver was downloading to my desktop. After I carried out your suggestions and tried to print, It wouldn't work. At the end of the driver installation, there is a "print test page" option which can't be unchecked so when you click on FINISH, the printer tries to print but faults out due to the  "Enable bidirectional support" option being checked as default.

What I did at this point was to reconnect my laptop printed another test page, reconnected the printer to my desktop, unchecked the  "Enable bidirectional support" check-box, and tried to print again. Hey presto, it worked!

Don't know why, but I'm assuming the printer for some reason was holding the error from my desktop and the laptop cleared it.

One thing I need to add though, if you turn the printer off, you end up with the same problem, it wont print until you carry out the laptop operation again. Obviously when the printer re-communicates with the pc after turning on, something is reset. Hope a fix is forthcoming.

Sorry this didn't help.

My problem was same as yours when it came to the bidirectional port issue.
Thanks for the info about using the Windows 7 laptop to make the Windows 8 preview system work with the HP printer.
It worked.
Now we await the fix so that we can turn the printer off whenever we want.

Sorry this didn't help.

This thread applies to Windows 8 Consumer Preview. The thread is locked because the information in it might not be relevant or accurate as new versions of Windows 8 become available.

Thanks,

Microsoft Communities team

Sorry this didn't help.