Keyboard not working properly in windows 8. Backslash switched with hash.

When I had windows 7, I had no problems. When I installed windows 8, the backslash key, just above the enter key, types # now. Many other keys have switched places. For example, I had @ key with shift+2, now its shift+'. This is really irritating I have to open the on-screen keyboard to type. I hate this.
Answer
Answer
Many other keys have switched places. For example, I had @ key with shift+2, now its shift+'.

Why not change to a more applicable keyboard?  E.g. go to Language and see what Languages you have enabled.   Then click Options to see your keyboards.   Add another one and use its Preview button to see if it would be closer to what you would like to use.   Hmm... that Preview feature is much less useful than I would have imagined.   Looks like what you need to do to see what a keyboard contains is to actually add it and then use it with the OSK to see its full set of keycaps, in particular press Shift- then to see the uppercase layout of the top row.   Again, I am surprised that pressing Shift- while the Preview window is open does not do the same thing.  But it is not too difficult to manage another window while you are experimenting.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

96 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 13, 2020 Views 41,563 Applies to: