Kernel Mode Printer blocking policy is enabled in windows 8 home

how to disable Kernel Mode Printer policy?

When i try to install a printer driver it shows Kernel Mode Printer blocking policy is enabled, because of that i cant able to install the driver.

I can able to use that driver for windows xp, vista, windows 7

I contacted the printer vendor for getting windows 8 64 bit compactible driver, but they told me that its an old printer and i wont get the new driver of that printer.

So anybody please help me to disable kernel mode printer policy in windows 8 home....

Hi Abhinath,

What is the make and model of the printer?

This issue might occur if there is a policy set for not allowing installation of printers using kernel mode drivers.

Follow these steps to disable the blocking policy for installation of printer drivers:

a.     Press Windows key + R on the keyboard.

b.    Type “Gpedit.msc” without quotes and press Enter. The Group Policy screen will appear.

c.     Under Local Computer Policy, expand (double-click) Computer Configuration.

d.    Expand (double-click) Administrative Templates.

e.    Expand (double-click) Printers.

f.      On the right side of the screen, right-click on 'Disallow installation of printers using kernel mode drivers' setting, and then click Properties.

g.    On the Settings tab, click Disabled, and then click OK.

As there are no drivers available for Windows 8, you may install the drivers in compatibility mode:

a.     Right click on setup file.

b.    Click on Properties.

c.     Click on Compatibility tab.

d.    Put a check mark on Run this program in compatibility mode for.

e.    Select the operating system to which the driver is available.

f.      Put a check mark on Run this program as an administrator under Privilege Level.

Hope it helps. If you have any further issues on the computer, please post your question regarding Windows and we will be happy to help you.

Rohit S

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 1,027 Applies to: