ISO image not mounting with Windows 8 Enterprise

When I try mounting an .ISO (any file, including the ones I've just created), I just get a spinning blue circle and very poor system performance. It takes forever and it is not going to mount. The virtual CD drive appears just fine, both in explorer and in device manager, but the ISO is not being mounted.

I've tried restarting in safe mode and the mount process went just fine and almost immediately (I'm running an i5 laptop with 8 gigs of RAM and an enterprise-class 200GB SSD).

I do not have any third party ISO tools (apart from WinRAR which is able to open and unpack the ISO file, just as any other archive), and the system is a recently fresh install. I've also tried checking for windows consistency, and everything's OK. Running most recent updates as well, and I've tried disabling antivirus (NOD32 business v5).

Hi nazteedidjital,

Thank you for choosing Windows 8 and for providing us an opportunity to assist you.

I understand that you are having difficulty in mounting ISO image on Windows 8 enterprise.

I will try to help you with this.

1)      Have you made any changes prior to the issue?

Method 1:

Run a system file checker scan and check if that helps. Refer the following steps to run SFC scan.

System File Checker Tool will try to help you in fixing all the corrupted files and folders in the computer.

a) Move the mouse pointer to bottom left of the screen where you see preview of start menu and Right-click to bring up a list of Windows settings.

b) Click on ‘Command Prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated command prompt. Note: Click ‘Yes’ if it prompts for permission.

c) Type SFC /scannow and press enter.

Method 2:

Please Uninstall if you have installed any third party application to mount the ISO image

a. Press Windows Key + W.

b. In the search box, type programs and features.

c. Click on programs and features.

d. Right on the applications you want to uninstall and click on uninstall.

e. Restart the computer.

Now try to mount an ISO image.

Please post back if you are still experiencing the issue. I will be glad to provide you with the additional options available that you can utilize to get the issue resolved.

Abdul Raqeeb Kola
Former Microsoft Senior Support Engineer/ Sr. Blogger

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello

Thanks for your reply, but it seems as you haven't read my post at all. It says that I've already made a SFC /scannow, and that I didn't had any ISO mounting tools, with only exception of WinRAR, which is only able to handle ISO images, but at a file level, just like any other archive file types it already handles.

However, after drilling down to the cause of my predicament, I've found the offending software: it was NOD32 antivirus, as it has removable device system extension. It causes no issues with any USB drives, like hard drives or flash memory, or with hardware CD/DVD devices, but it somehow prevents Windows 8 from mounting an ISO. As soon as I have disabled it, I've regained ISO mounting capability of my system. (In case anyone else has this problem: Open NOD32 (Business v5 in my case), select "Settings" from the left pane, then "Advanced Setup" from the right, drill down the tree (Computer->Device Control) and deselect "Integrate into system".

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Glad to know that you were able to resolve the issue. If you have any further issues regarding Windows, please post your questions in this forum.

Abdul Raqeeb Kola
Former Microsoft Senior Support Engineer/ Sr. Blogger

Sorry this didn't help.

My Windows 8 system was an upgrade from Windows 7 Ult. keeping all the applications etc.  I did have virtual drive software installed in Windows 7 and I didn't think to uninstall it. 

When I double click an *.iso file I get the "Open With" option  and a list of software including imgburn, Nero, etc.

I don't see any obvious references to virtual iso file software in the Programs control panel.

How can I determine if some alien iso mount software is installed?  And how can I activate Windows 8 iso mount capability?

Thanks.  Eric Lewis

Sorry this didn't help.

Right-click an .iso file > Properties > click "Change" under the "General" tab > click on "Windows Explorer" > OK

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-files/how-to-mount-an-iso-image-with-windows-8/5b9c2632-22dc-4bf3-b168-0d5b75995e64

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 1,562 Applies to: