I have an issue with installing the bluetooth driver for Windows 8.

Original title : can't install bluetooth driver

I have Windows 8 Pro 64-bit (upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit).  I am having trouble with a bluetooth driver (Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230) that won't install.  The

error I get when using the Intel driver (downloaded directly from Intel) says "Could not write value SupportDLL to key \SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\BTHPORT\Parameters

\Radio Support.  Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel."

Windows Update also repeatedly shows this driver, but it fails to install as well.  If I remember correctly, the error is "access is denied".  I contacted Microsoft earlier

and the tech took remote control of my computer and found the same problem.  He disabled all startups and rebooted, but we failed to reconnect after reboot which is why I am

contacting you again.  I'm guessing something went wrong in the reboot because I specifically noticed that he deactivated my facial recognition software, yet when it

rebooted, it still required my face.

I am logged in as an administrator and I have also tried to right-click the .exe file and run as administrator, but it doesn't help.  I have tried

uninstalling/rebooting/reinstalling with no luck.  I have also tried several microsoft fix-it programs, but again, no   I have also tried contacting Intel by chat and they

were no help either.

I have also tried to navigate to that key in the registry editor, but I get an error message that states "Error opening key.  Parameters cannot be opened.  An error is

preventing this key from being opened.  Details: Access is denied."

Answer
Answer
I finally got frustrated and ran a Windows 8 repair (couldn't do restore because when I upgraded to Windows 8 from Windows 7, somehow restores were turned off and I didn't notice it for about a month).  Then, I used the bluetooth driver directly from intel and everything is working again.  I will say that when I ran repair, it removed Windows Media Center (since it's no longer part of the OS, but an add-on), but that is a very small price to pay for having everything working properly.

Thanks for the help everyone!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 11, 2020 Views 8,734 Applies to: