I can't turn on the Windows 8 firewall.

Hi

I've been messing with this for weeks, I finally installed a third party firewall but without the Windows firewall running Metro Apps are inaccessible.
I don't get any error message, only the message "Access Denied".

I've tried through Services and every other possible means but when I look at error reporting, as suggested when I try and turn it on that's all I get.

I'm running as administrator with all rights turned on.

It did run when I first got my new computer and I'm not sure when or why it stopped.
I just noticed one day that it was turned off.

I've run every kind of malware scan and turned up nothing.

Since Defender isn't a stand alone piece of software in 8 as it was in 7 I don't see any way to uninstall it and reinstall it again to reset it the way it was to start with.

Any one have any idea how I can reset it without having to do a recovery to before I installed and set up all my over 40 software programs.

If I can't I'll just have to keep running Comodo and ignore Metro and it's apps completely, which is actually working fine for me.

I'd just like to get it working the way it's supposed to.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

|
Answer
Answer
Hi

I just came back to say that I did finally get this fixed.

At the suggestion of a poster on the Windows 8 forum, I looked at how other working services had their permissions set up.

I went to services, found a service that was running and looked at the way that the permissions configured, and compared them to the firewall.

I then copied all these settings to the Windows Firewall settings manually, and the firewall finally started working.

I have no idea why the settings were different but that was what was killing the service.

I just had to go through each setting and change them so they were the same for both services.
Taking a series of screenshots helped so I didn't have to keep switching back and forth between them.

Mike

Here's a link to the post that solved this issue for me.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 4, 2019 Views 17,837 Applies to: