I am unable to install the drivers for Canon PIXMA MG5320 printer on Windows 8

I just bought this printer, and everything installs perfectly on my Windows 7 Laptop. However, on my Windows 8 Pro desktop, the printer drivers don't work. I started off with the latest drivers for Windows 8 from Canon's website, so that isn't the issue. The scanner is detecting and installing perfectly, just no the printer. It shows up in the Control Panel, however when I click on it, it says "Driver is unavailable." I've tried "Add a Printer" and it detects perfectly fine. Again however, it comes up with "Printer could not be installed" after about a minute of "Installing Printer"

And thoughts? I have tried contacting Canon's customer support, but all I have gotten from them is to uninstall and reinstall the drivers. Did it, and no dice.

Original title :Windows 8 and Canon PIXMA MG5320

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi cevans2021,

Thank you for posting your query in the Microsoft Community Forums. If I understand you correctly, you have an issue with installing Canon PIXMA MG5320 on your Windows 8 computer. I understand that it must be frustrating, but rest assured, we are here to help fix your issue and guide you in the right direction.

Let us start with a few questions-

1)       What is the complete error message?

2)       Have you made any other changes on the computer prior to the issue?

I would like more information regarding the issue.

Canon PIXMA MG5320 is compatible with Windows 8.

Let us now perform some troubleshooting steps. All the steps are to be performed systematically and in an order.

Method 1 –

I would have you run the printer troubleshooter.

Refer the steps-

a)       Click on “Start” and type “troubleshooting” (without the quotations) and then select “Settings”.

b)       Now, Click on “view all”.

c)       Run the “printer”.

Method 2-

I would have you refer the article-

Fix printer problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/printer-problems-in-windows-help#fix-printer-problems=windows-8&v1h=win8tab1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Method 3-

I would have you download and run the drivers for the Canon PIXMA MG5320 in a compatibility mode.

Refer the steps-

a)       Download the latest drivers from the manufacturer’s website and Right Click on the driver.

b)       Now, select “Properties”.

c)       Select the “Compatibility” tab and then, select “Run this program in the compatibility mode” (select Windows 7).

d)       Check if it helps.

Do get back to us and let us know the status of the issue by your next post or in case you need further assistance. We, at Microsoft strive towards excellence.

Hope this helps!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately none of these yielded any results. I haven't made any changes to the system, its a fairly fresh install with just a couple games and all the latest updates. Not even any of the manufacturer drivers for any of my other hardware as it all detected and worked beautifully.

As for the complete error, there isn't much to go on. When I run "Add a Printer", it detects the printer on the network (I have also tried installing with the printer directly connected by USB, with the exact same results) just fine. Click install drivers, and it goes for about a minute and just pops up with "The printer installation failed"

With the factory drivers, there's a little more, however, still very little information as to what is causing the problem. Here are the "Setup Results." There are no errors that pop up during installation or any other sign that anything went wrong.

===========================================
Setup Results

Model :
 Canon MG5300 series

Network Setup of the Printer :
 Failed
    Name :

Port Name :
 CNBJNP_888717D8CE48

Network Setup of the Scanner :
 Completed
    Name :
 Canon MG5300 series(88.87.17.D8.CE.48)

Network Type :
 Infrastructure
SSID :
 Evans

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have exactly the same issue, and it's taken me hours to get to this point.  I think it might be to do with the version of Windows 8 as the issue seems so rare (if no-one could install a Canon printer google would surely have more results) and I can install the printer with no issues on Windows 7.  However the driver from Canon does say Windows 8 compat, and even trying to run it in Windows 7 compat mode still does not produce results.  I am running Windows 8 Pro, is there any more help available with this?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry I know this is a Canon log but just to confirm the same issue here is my log:

Setup Results

Model :
    Canon MG3100 series

Network Setup of the Printer :
    Failed
    Name :

Port Name :
    CNBJNP_2C9EFC3B0117

Network Setup of the Scanner :
    Completed
    Name :
    Canon MG3100 series(2C.9E.FC.3B.01.17)

Network Type :
    Infrastructure
SSID :
    blahdeblah

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did anyone ever find a solution.  I have the exact same problem with Windows 8 64 bit.  I got the same response from Canon.  Still not luck.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the exact same problem with a Cannon MG3220 All-In-One printer.  The scanner portion installs successfully, but the printer portion fails (network setup of printer failed).  Was on the phone with Canon for over an hour, we tried everything from disabling UAT, to trying to install the printer on a different local admin account to no avail.  They told me to contact Microsoft.  Running Windows 8 64bit.   Holding off on upgrading my Windows 7 machines until issues such as these are resolved. :(

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problem with a pixma mx432, hours on the phone with canon with no help...any solutions yet?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As for the complete error, there isn't much to go on.

How are you checking for what diagnostics there may be?  Try using ProcMon to see what files the install is writing to.   E.g. filter with something like Operation Contains Write.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did manage to resolve this in the end.  My problem was caused by legacy driver entries in the registry that had been left over by a previous HP printer (and possibly also GotoMeeting).  The uninstall had not stripped all the entries out and they were hijacking the communications between Win8 and the new printer.  If you follow the steps in this link and then re-install your Canon you might have more luck, it certainly worked for me.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/how-to-uninstall-printer-when-i-dont-have-it/e796c318-86fe-4a3e-8fff-a736334166b5

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I too have the same problem with the installation of my printer. My computer is new out of the box, so shouldn't have any previous printers installed. It is running Windows 8 - 64 bit. My printer is two months old - Canon Color Imageclass MF8080Cw and installed perfectly on my old computer running Windows XP. i think the problem is with the Windows 8. I have gone through all of the Canon processes and downloaded new drivers, etc. to no avail. I am totally frustrated.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 25, 2021 Views 25,121 Applies to: