HP TX2500z graphics driver crashing when opening Hulu

Hi there,

I recently upgraded my mother's HP Tx2500z which uses a Mobility Radeon HD 3200 to Windows 8. Just about everything works beautifully with the graphics driver that automatically installs with the system.

Unfortunately, the Hulu website and Hulu Windows 8 App consistently crashes her computer resulting in a blue screen as soon as the video starts to play.

Youtube works fine in the browser. The NBC News app videos load fine as well.

I've tried looking through HP's website as well as ATI's for the correct driver, but it seems like they might've abandoned support for this product.

As one of the test PC's listed for Windows 8 in Microsoft's campus, I'm hoping that someone at the company may be able to fix this simple issue in the driver. One of the reasons I upgraded my mother's computer from Windows 8 Release Preview to the final version of Windows 8 was because I thought she would finally be able to play her tv shows through Hulu. It runs great, but this seems to be a glaring problem that keeps repeating itself.

If there's something I'm missing, I hope someone here can help me. Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 235 Applies to:
Hi jhnguyen714,

Welcome to Microsoft community. We would need fey more information as listed below to assist you better.

1. Do you face this issue only with the Hulu?
2. Have you made any changes to the computer prior to this issue?

I would suggest you to try these methods and check the issue status.

would suggest you to run the Windows 8 Apps Troubleshooterand check the issue status.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/4/F24D0C03-4181-4E5B-A23B-5C3A6B5974E3/apps.diagcab

You can try by uninstalling and reinstalling Hulu app.

If the issue still persists, I would suggest you to reply us with more information, we’ll be happy to assist you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I haven't changed anything other then upgrading the tx2500 from Windows 8 Release Preview to Windows 8 final release. (Hulu wasn't working on the Release Preview either)

The issue happens when videos start in the USA Today application, Hulu website (via IE), Hulu Metro App.

For some reason I am able to play videos off the Hulu website on Google Chrome, but not IE.

I also noticed that the Mail Application crashes on occasion, but it doesn't lead to a blue screen.

I think there may be a problem in the current driver regarding certain video playback methods. Considering the rest of the operating system runs fine, that is my best hypothesis.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I would suggest you to try these methods and check the issue status.

Method 1:
Open Internet Explorer in No Add-on mode and then check if this fixes the issue log in to Costco Photo center.
Follow the steps to open Internet Explorer in No Add-on Mode.
d. Press “Windows Key + R”.
e. Type “iexplore –extoff” without quotes in the Run Window and hit enter.
f. Now the Internet Explorer will open in No Add-on mode.

Method 2:
Reset the Internet explorer settings and then check if this fixes the issue.
Follow the steps to reset Internet Explorer settings.
d. Open Internet Explorer.
e. Press “Alt key + X” and select “Internet Options”.
f. Select “Advanced” tab and then select “Reset” under “Reset Internet Explorer Settings”.
Note: Internet Explorer reset will delete all the settings and add-on which cannot be recovered.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ganesh,

I will make sure to try that when I get home today.

One thing that worries me about either of those methods though, is it doesn't explain why the video playback in the Metro apps are crashing the computer. Is the video playback in the Hulu Plus & USA Today Windows 8 apps controlled by Internet Explorer Add-ons? That doesn't make sense in my mind, but I don't have very intimate knowledge of the code behind these apps.

If that's the case, hopefully it will be an easy fix. Please let me know if you find anything else that might alleviate the issue.

Thanks,
John

PS: I was able to figure out the mail crashing issue (it seems yahoo is unable to update on a constant basis and must be put on a 15 minute schedule)

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ganesh, I tried both methods, and unfortunately, neither of them work.
As I said before, I don't think it's a problem with internet explorer or any application in general. I can only place blame on the graphics driver created for the Mobility Radeon HD 3200 for Windows 8 (microsoft driver WDM v1.1). This has been happening since the Consumer Preview of Windows 8.

It seems that the driver supports certain video playback methods, but it absolutely always crashes when playing Hulu and USA Today videos in their respective Windows 8 applications.
In Windows 7, the video playback was just fine, so I don't think there's any problem with the hardware itself.

Do you have any other suggestions? I would be very thankful if you can help me.

Sorry this didn't help.