How to safely remove hardware – particularly my Windows Phone 8?

Greetings community,

I apologize if my question is going to sound stupid, but I’m still spending most of my time working in Windows 7, and I rarely got the time to fire up Windows 8, until now finally getting my vacations.

I purchased WP8 developers subscription to have some fun during those free days. So I open Visual Studio, connect my phone (because my old computer doesn’t want to run emulator), play a little, and everything is fine.

However, when I close Visual Studio and try to safely remove the phone, it says that it couldn’t be done because some program still uses it, and that I should stop that program first. The only way I could do that really safely is to shut down the computer.

So I have two questions:

How to find out which program is still using some hardware, in order to stop it?

Is there any way of removing the hardware in Windows 8 without using the desktop mode?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Question Info

Last updated August 1, 2019 Views 4,820 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Ivica,

The service “IpOverUsbSvc” is a Windows Service which is responsible for controlling the Windows Phone IP over USB Transport. It is not a good idea to disable this service on the computer, but you may stop it or change its startup type to manual.

To stop this service using command prompt, you may follow these steps:

a)       Press “Windows Logo” + “X” keys on the keyboard and select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from that menu.

b)       In the Command Prompt window, type the following command to stop the service.

sc stop "IpOverUsbSvc"

To make the startup type to manual, you may use the below given command.

sc config “IpOverUsbSvc” start= demand

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,
Rajesh Govind - Microsoft Support Engineer

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi Ivica,

When you try to safely remove a USB drive from the computer, the reason why you are getting the mentioned error message is because the files in the USB drive are locked as they might be still in use by some process in the computer and Windows is unable to stop the process and unlock the file for the safe removal of the drive. We can definitely find out the process responsible for this. This can be done by using a tool called Windows Sysinternals Process Explorer. Process Explorer shows you information about which handles and DLLs processes have opened or loaded on the computer.

You may download and run the Windows Sysinternals Process Explorer from the given link and check which process is responsible for this issue.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Regarding your second query, in Windows 8, there is also another way to remove any connected hardware device from the computer.  This can be done from the “Change PC Settings”. But, the Microsoft suggested way to do this is by using the “Safely Remove Hardware” option from the taskbar.  You may follow these steps for the alternative way of removing a hardware device from the computer.

a)       Press “Windows Logo” + “C” keys on the keyboard and click on “Settings”.

b)       Click on “Change PC settings” option.

c)       Click on “Devices” from the left panel.

d)       Click on the USB device that you would like to remove and click on the button “Remove device

Hope this information is helpful. Please do get back to us with the updates.

Regards,
Rajesh Govind - Microsoft Support Engineer

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.