Getting a Konica Minolta printer to work with Windows 8.

I am trying to connect a Konica Minolta bizhub 423 to my laptop factory installed with Windows 8.  This is a personal computer being connected to a printer/copier at a school. 

Previously when one connected the printer to Windows Vista and Windows 7, you would do the following:

1. Go to the control panel and click on the option for printers.

2. Right click on the Konica Minolta icon then choose printing preferences. 

3. Click the basic tab.

4. click the Authentication/Account Track button.

5. Enter the authentication code and press verify.

6. Print to your hearts delight.

Now, on Windows 8, the following happens.

1. Go to control panel and click on the option for printers.

2. Right click on the Konica Minolta icon and choose printing preferences.

3. The only tabs that appear are Layout and Paper/Quality which are useless in this endeavor.  The advanced settings are no help either.

4. Get frustrated and try right clicking and choosing printer properties.  This brings up a box that includes the following tabs: general, sharing, ports, advanced, color management, security, device settings. 

---none of these contain the Authentication/Account Track button either. 

So where did it go?  How do I find it?  Is the device not compatible with Windows 8? When I look online for the compatibility it says unknown.  Why would you make an operating system that cannot be compatible with relatively new printers?

Please help.

Hi,

The OEM printer maker is responsible for the hardware and driver compatibility not the
operating system. It would be impossible to develop an OS that was compatible with
the millions of devices out there. And more so for any being developed in the same time
frame as the OS.

Check with Konica Minolta Support, their on-line documentation, and drivers.

Make sure you have the latest available driver.

====================================================

The main issue is probably the drivers however these may help :

Windows 8 - Fix Printer Problems
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/printer-problems-in-windows-help#fix-printer-problems=windows-8&v1h=win8tab1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1 

Windows 8 - How to solve printing problems in Windows
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/how-to-solve-printing-problems

Windows 8 - Install a printer
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/install-a-printer 

Windows 8 - Find and install printer drivers
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/find-and-install-printer-drivers

Hope this helps.

Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP <- profile - Windows Expert - Consumer : Bicycle <- Mark Twain said it right!

Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider MVP 2016 - current
Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT 2009 - 2020

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I am trying to connect a Konica Minolta bizhub 423 to my laptop factory installed with Windows 8.  This is a personal computer being connected to a printer/copier at a school. 

Previously when one connected the printer to Windows Vista and Windows 7, you would do the following:

1. Go to the control panel and click on the option for printers.

2. Right click on the Konica Minolta icon then choose printing preferences. 

3. Click the basic tab.

4. click the Authentication/Account Track button.

5. Enter the authentication code and press verify.

6. Print to your hearts delight.

Now, on Windows 8, the following happens.

1. Go to control panel and click on the option for printers.

2. Right click on the Konica Minolta icon and choose printing preferences.

3. The only tabs that appear are Layout and Paper/Quality which are useless in this endeavor.  The advanced settings are no help either.

4. Get frustrated and try right clicking and choosing printer properties.  This brings up a box that includes the following tabs: general, sharing, ports, advanced, color management, security, device settings. 

---none of these contain the Authentication/Account Track button either. 

So where did it go?  How do I find it?  Is the device not compatible with Windows 8? When I look online for the compatibility it says unknown.  Why would you make an operating system that cannot be compatible with relatively new printers?

Please help.

As always - go to the manufacturer of the product you are attempting to use to get support and the latest drivers and other software necessary to use it.  Your operating system is not going to include the hundreds of thousands of possible device drivers you might run into on a daily basis.

http://www.konicaminolta.eu/en/business-solutions/support/download-center.html

For the download center drop downs, choose, under "Or make choice step by step:"...
"Multifunctional Black/White"
"bizhub 423"

Click "Go".

You should get a list of drivers - likely for Windows 7 - for said device.  Change the pull-down that is probably set at Windows 7 to "Windows 8" or "Windows 8 (64-bit)" depending on what you have installed on that system of yours.  Which one you get will be determined by you, your need and how the device itself is configured.

Ask the 'school' for assistance on which one to get.

.-
Shenan Stanley
MVP 2005-2011 & 2013-2015
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 22, 2019 Views 2,867 Applies to: