• July 17, 2017
    Announcement: New site design for Microsoft Community

In July, Microsoft will roll out the first of ongoing site improvements aimed to modernize Microsoft Community and help customers get the most out of their community experience.

• During the roll out period, you may see the old or new site design depending on your location

• We expect the roll out to finish by 31 July

Note: Past private message conversations will not move to the new site design. Please save any private messages you would like to keep.

Learn more about the upcoming site improvements in this thread.

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community!

Question

Error 1920 service smart card failed to start. Using Windows 8

wyosharonm asked on

We're attempting to install a CAC card on our Windows 8 computer. We have followed all the instructions thus far, but continue to get this error message while attempting to install ActivClient:  Error 1920. Service Smart Card (Scardsvr) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privledges to start system services.

This is a new computer & I hadn't assigned an administrator. I opened a window to run as administrator. We still get the same message!!! HELP!

7 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Barry QZ replied on

wyosharonm,

I encountered the same error when installing drivers for a PKI token on Windows 8.

I discovered the smart card service in the services MMC was set to disabled.

I switched it to auto start (didn't even manually start it) and retried the install and it seems to have done the trick.

13 people found this helpful

Abuse history

progress