Epson Workforce WF-2530 scanner driver won't install

Epson support claims this is a Windows issue, so I'm hoping someone figured this out.

I bought an Epson WF-2530 Series printer/scanner by Seiko Epson Corp. It supports all kinds of things, but all I'm interested in (in Windows 8) is scanning (over USB). However, the Epson WF-2530 Series scanner driver won't install.

I am running Windows 8 64 bit. The Epson WF-2530 Series printer drivers install fine, but when I install the Epson WF-2530 Series scanner driver from the Epson WF-2530 Series Software Disk Vol1.1 or the current latest driver (Epson Scanner Driver and Scan Utility v3.791) for the Epson WorkForce WF-2530 All-in-One Printer from the website, I get a message saying "An error occured during setup. Restart your computer, then run setup again." Once I click "OK", the computer is force-rebooted and the exact same error occurs. I tried this with and without the Epson WF-2530 Series printer connected.

I've been at it for hours and tried a lot of the remove/delete/install/connect/disconnect instructions out there. None of them work, making me wonder if people even tried them, or just hand out made up advice because they think it might work.

These instructions stand out the most because I encountered them in different locations. Solutions I have tried:

1. Some say you need to enable the Shell Hardware Detection service first. But in Windows 8, that seems to be enabled by default already.
  2. Others have said you need to disable all non-Microsoft services and startup programs in msconfig, reboot, and try the installation then. This does not work.
  3. Finally I tried installing in safe mode (not starting any extra services). But now the installer won't run with the message "Could not launch required program during setup, check the setup disc."
  4. Some people actually claim you should re-install Windows 8 and install the Epson WF-2530 Series printer and scanner drivers before anything else. There is no way I am going to re-install my entire system in order to add a Epson WF-2530 Series printer. I would rather see if I can throw this Epson WF-2530 Series printer over the street into the gracht from here. Or through a wall.

All I want is to scan documents with the Epson WF-2530 Series in Windows 8 over a USB cable. Why won't the dang thing install? I'd like to add that in over 15 years of printer experience, I've never seen a printer just work in Windows. What is it with the utter inability of printer/scanner devs to make this work? Imagine a printer being sent to Mars in stead of the Curiosity robot! Nasa will probably call Seiko Epson Corp. tech support and get instructions to contact the Mars administration because the problem is with them.

Anyway, I am dual-booting Windows 8 and Ubuntu 13.10 where I just go here to download.ebz.epson.net, seach for 2530, download and install these two files: iscan-data_1.26.0-1_all.deb and iscan_2.29.3-1~usb0.1.ltdl7_amd64.deb, reboot, and the Epson WF-2530 Series scanner/printer works fine! The free solution works fine! Also, obviously the connection to the printer works fine!

Windows pls!!

Seiko Epson Corp. pls!

y u do dis? :')

Look at the yellow exclamation mark in the Control Panel:

EPSON WF-2530 Series Properties:

EPSON Scanner Properties:

PS - I also tried the 'combined' Epson WF-2530 Series printer/scanner driver with 100 Megabyte of extra bloatware from Seiko Epson Corp. It stops halfway with the same error message.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Redsandro,

Thank you for the detailed response on this issue. You may try installing the Scanner Driver and EPSON Scan Utility v3.791 in Windows 7 compatibility mode and check if it installs.

Driver link: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?oid=209709&BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=Downloads&platform=OSF_W_8-64

Steps to install driver in Compatibility Mode: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

Let us know the status of the issue. If you need further assistance, please post back. We will be glad to help you.

Regards,
Anil

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Anil Kumar B, thank you for your response.

Although the download for the Epson WF-2530 Series printer specifically states it's compatibility with Windows 8 and I don't expect the Windows 7 compatibility mode to make a difference, I will go ahead and try this anyway.

Epson WorkForce WF-2530 Scanner Driver and EPSON Scan Utility v3.791:

I have tried this procedure on:
  1. The installer for the Epson WF-2530 Series scanner driver, which is a self-extracting archive that runs setup.exe;
  2. the extracted files (setup.exe itself) from the Epson WF-2530 Series scanner driver archive;
  3. and the Epson WorkForce WF-2530 All-in-One Printer Drivers and Utilities Combo Package as found in the link you provided.
Enabling compatibility mode:

Run as Administrator:

Same error appears:

Trying the Epson WorkForce WF-2530 All-in-One Printer Drivers and Utilities Combo Package in Windows 7 compatibility mode as administrator:

Setup runs fine:

Instructions follow:

Success, the printer is now detected, a green checkmark appears. Strangely, the printer appears twice though:

Scanning still does not work though:

But I was instructed to reboot, so I reboot, and the green checkmark is gone, there's the yellow exclamation mark again:

Concluding, I am sorry to say that I still can't get my Seiko Epson Corp. Epson WF-2530 Series scanner to work.

Sorry this didn't help.

It might also be interesting to mention that when I try to update the driver for the Epson WF-2530 Series scanner through the Microsoft Windows 8 Update Driver dialog, I get a permission denied error, even though you can only update the driver when you clicked on the administrative 'change settings' button first.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

This issue could be due to permissions to the driver store folder.

Let’s take ownership of the folder and check if it helps.

a.       From File Explorer, open C: drive.

b.      Double click on Windows folder.

c.       Open System32 folder> Driverstore> Filerepository.

d.      Right-click on Filerepository, click on Properties, and then click the Security tab.

e.       Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

f.       Click Edit, and then do one of the following:

◦ To change the owner to a user or group that is not listed, click Other users and groups and, in Enter the object name to select (examples), type the name of the user or group, and then click OK.

◦ To change the owner to a user or group that is listed, in the Change owner to box, click the new owner.

g.       (Optional) To change the owner of all subcontainers and objects within the tree, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

If the issue persists, you may perform a System File Checker (SFC) scan on your computer. SFC tool scans system files and replaces incorrect versions of the system files by using the correct versions.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Please post the results and we will be glad to assist you.

K.Z. Sharief Khan
Ex-Microsoft Forum Moderator

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Sharief K, thanks for the assistance.

There is no tab called "Owner" in "Advanced". There is a "change" button where you can change the "Owner", but right now it's "System" and I am sure if I change that to my current user, all other users are gonna have problems with everything that requires this folder.

Also, my user is administrator (and "Gebruiker" AKA "User") so it seems I already have full control.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Redsandro,

Sorry for delayed response.

After looking to your latest post and screen shot, I would suggest you to change the permission of “Gebruiker” which is your user account and provide full control to that particular user account.

And to do that, you can follow the steps provided below from the same page which you have provided in your final post.

1. Select Gebruiker
  2. Click on Change permission.
  3. Provide full control to it.
  4. Click on apply and hit OK.
  5. Exit out from this page and restart your computer.

If issue persists I would suggest you to disable security software temporarily and then try to install the drivers and check if it helps.

Disable anti-virus 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Disable-antivirus-software

NoteAntivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Ramesh Kumar.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ramesh and thank you for your reply.

Sorry for the late response. I was so annoyed by this problem of not being able to use my Epson WF-2530 Series printer/scanner by Seiko Epson Corp. on Microsoft Windows 8.1 that I've been using Ubuntu Linux for my scanning the last couple of months.

However, I would like to use some specialized software now for which I need Windows. So I stumbled upon this problem again.

I tried your latest advise, but I run into this problem:

Please advise.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Redsandro,

Thank you for keeping us updated about the issue and sorry for late reply.

The screen shot which you have attached in your post seems that you are facing issue with permission.

I would suggest you to refer the suggestion provided in the following Microsoft article and check if it helps.

Access Denied" or other errors when accessing or working with files and folders in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2623670/en-us

I would suggest you to run the below command in elevated command prompt and see if it helps.

• Go to Start, click All Programs and open Accessories.
  • Right click on Command Prompt in the Program list and then select Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click OK.
  • In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

TAKEOWN /A /F C:

• Then try to run the next command.

TAKEOWN /F C:

This will give both admin and your account full permissions to ALL files in the C: drive

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Ramesh Kumar.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ramesh,

The commands worked fine, but the installer gave this message again:

I wanted to make a screenshot with the successful commands on the command prompt, but I accidentally pressed OK in the above dialog which caused my machine to reboot.

At this point I am extremely annoyed, and I would very much like to throw gasoline on this Epson WF-2530 Series printer/scanner, light it on fire, and put a little burning bag of dog-poo in front of Seiko Epson Corp's doorstep and ring the doorbell. However, I know this driver is "supposed" to work and my specific computer has probably a combination of configuration options and other drivers that Seiko Epson Corp. didn't anticipate in their development process.

I purchased 20 meters of extra cable and attached the printer to the network as an experiment. The wifi here isn't strong enough. Scanning over the network DOES work. Installing proper drivers for USB scanning seems impossible. So this solution is not the prettiest with the cable lying around, but at least I don't have to spend any more time (AKA money) on this.

Thank you for all the help. I'd advise everybody to use the network functionality, either over cable or over Wi-Fi. It's not too hard to set up, and that's one of the printers' USPs anyway. :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Redsandro,

Thank you for the update and I can understand the level of frustration which you are facing.

However, if issue is still persisting you can try to create a new user account as an Administrator and check the issue. You can refer to the link provided below to create a new user account.

Create a user account   
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Ramesh Kumar.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 5, 2020 Views 6,710 Applies to: