"Display Driver stopped responding and has recovered" - Win 8

Hi, I just bought a brand new HP desktop last month, with Windows 8 - works brilliant. Today for the first time I tried using Windows Live Photo Gallery, & while making adjustments to a photo (contrast etc.) suddenly the computer FROZE (I had a song playing as well - it stopped), then the screen went all BLACK, & stayed that way for close to FIVE MINUTES! Then, suddenly it's back to normal... it happened twice again after that - & then it started freezing (music STOPPED, screen went BLACK), only this time the computer RESTARTED ITSELF!!! This happened numerous times.

The last time it didn’t actually restart itself - it froze for about 20 seconds, then a pop-up appeared saying: "Display Driver stopped responding and has recovered"

It only happens whenever I attempt to adjust a photo in Windows Live Photo Gallery. This computer cost me a thousand dollars and is less than a month old! It has NVIDIA GeForce GT 620 pre-installed, if that helps. Any help much appreciated.

Answer
Answer
I am writing this message to let you know that I have the solution that solve this problem on my PC!
Since the latest driver from Nvidia also gave no solution to the deadlock in Windows Live Photo Gallery, I am in the Nvidia control panel go browsing and fond this simple solution!

Do the following steps:

- Open Nvidia Control Panel
- Open 3D Settings
- Open 3D settings management
- Select Program Settings
- Select to adjust program: Windows Live Photo Gallery
- Click Reset and confirm

And Windows Live Photo Gallery works from then completely normal on my PC!
Give it a try!

Kind regards, Johnny Cooman.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 13, 2022 Views 9,775 Applies to: