control panel extension is incompatible with driver version - windows 8

I am having trouble with the mouse in my 2-month-old Windows 8 computer (Lenovo Yoga 13).  When I go to the control panel and access the mouse settings, it starts out with a box saying "control panel extension is incompatible with driver version).  Then it lets me into the dialogue to play with the mouse settings.  Alas, I have not yet succeeded in fixing the mouse problem once I'm in there, so I suspect the incompatibility IS the problem.  But what does the message mean and how do I fix it?
|
I am having trouble with the mouse in my 2-month-old Windows 8 computer (Lenovo Yoga 13).  When I go to the control panel and access the mouse settings, it starts out with a box saying "control panel extension is incompatible with driver version).  Then it lets me into the dialogue to play with the mouse settings.  Alas, I have not yet succeeded in fixing the mouse problem once I'm in there, so I suspect the incompatibility IS the problem.  But what does the message mean and how do I fix it?

1. Start your computer in Safe mode.
  2. go to C:\Windows\System32 and In the Search for files or folders named box, type:
    *.cpl
  3. look for main.cpl and rename it
  4. IMPORTANT: Before you rename files as part of this step, make a list of the original file names for tracking purposes.
  5. Restart your computer.
  6. Check whether you are still having the problem..

It should be gone by now.. if not try to run sfc/scannow

H.A.V. Aravinda

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm a little reluctant to try this without a support person on the line to walk me through it and help me recover from anything that goes wrong.  Just doing a File Explorer search (not in Safe mode), I came up with 8 main.cpl files (4 of which are followed by a .mui in the name), so I'm guessing it is used a fair amount for something.
Meanwhile, I called Lenovo and spent 2 hours with their support person.  She had me uninstall the driver for the synaptics touchpad, then reinstall.  The reinstall didn't totally work; it told me to uninstall the driver I had already uninstalled; when I proceeded (at her direction, after doublechecking that the driver was, indeed, gone from my list of programs), it said the mouse driver installation had failed.  I now have, I guess, a generic touchpad driver instead of the synaptics one.
So, the good news is I once again have a right click available.
The bad news is that it apparently isn't a Windows 8 touchpad, because it doesn't have the gestures.
And I have burned up 2 hours on what is only a partial fix.
So, I don't know what I'll do next.  If there is a support line available that can walk me through the main.cpl suggestion, I may try it, but I would spend a lot more than 2 hours trying to get up and running again if it doesn't work -- or, worse yet, toasts some vital operating piece of software and I have to try to fix it myself.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same issue on a customer's Lenovo laptop running Win 7 64 bit.

I tried your solution, but you cannot rename main.cpl. In safe mode you get a window that pops up saying "File Access Denied: You need permission from TrustedInstaller to make changes to this file".

I cannot wait for assistance. I will just uninstall the trackpad driver and it should still work fine. I just wanted to point out that the "answer" above is actually not a solution, at least not without having provided further instructions. I don't have the time to look into how to change the permission for this file. I also am wondering if this may cause other issues down the road.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same problem,

go to 

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds031974

download the driver and do the instruction

after installation, there was an error says device was not found (something like that)

restart the pc

go to contorl panel-mouse- select the touchpad-advance properties- update driver-choose c:/driver

the driver was installed successfully

restart

everything is ok

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, this will be interesting.

I no longer recall what was done to fix this problem originally; probably had my computer guru do it for me.

But now M$ did some updates to Windows 8 on August 12 that messed up the Yoga's touchpad, among MANY other features.  It's now a bit like using, oh, maybe Windows 95.  Can't switch from one window to another, at times, without completely shutting down whatever program I'm in, for example.  Can't enter or edit appointments in Outlook without going through about six steps to get to a dialogue box, for another.

But, in addition, unless I uninstall the Lenovo touchpad before shutting down, the next time I turn the computer on it does not recognize the touchpad at all, and I have to use an external mouse to do anything.  Not the most convenient, but at least I did finally find the workaround of deleting the driver each and every time.  (And I keep an external mouse handy for the times when I forget to delete the touchpad driver before shutting down.)

I may go back in, try this fix, and see if it at least fixes the mouse problem that M$ generated on August 12.  Seems unlikely, since the file was released in 2014, but I am ever hopeful......

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You mentioned to rename it.

In what name I have to rename... can you please help on this

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Mine says I need Administrator permission to rename it and what do you rename it??????? PLEASE HELP SOON

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

NO! This is NOT a helpful answer! DO NOT DO WHAT Hetti Arachchige V Aravinda SAYS TO DO.

The problem is with the Synaptics pointing device driver, as Windows Update has only partially updated the driver, or left part of the old version in memory (as the mouse driver can't be updated without rebooting). The Synaptics driver has an additional tab that's loaded into the Mouse control panel, and when you go to open that dialog box, it fails to load since the driver (running all the time) and the control panel extension (the part that loads when you open the control panel) are mismatched.

You should be able to fix it by reinstalling the latest touchpad driver for your PC - in your case, by going to support.lenovo.com - for the Yoga 13, the latest driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) is: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/Yoga-Series/Yoga-13-Notebook-IdeaPad/downloads/DS103346

In my case, I had just been given a build update of Windows 10, so it screwed up all my drivers. Looking at Device Manager, my Synaptics Pointing Device (under Mouse) is warning me to reboot the computer to finish installing the driver. So I'm off to do that. (update: yep, a simple reboot resolved this error message for me)

Not going to Safe Mode and messing with base Windows system files, good god. Reported that answer, and I hope someone takes it down.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Listen to Falcon4!!! It works!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You needn't go into safe mode or anything like that, honestly. 

Just do the following. 

Windows button -> settings -> devices -> stay on printers & scanners and scroll down to device manager -> find mice + other devices -> find your keypad / mouse -> right click update drivers.  

This will prompt a restart button (even if it says it's not been updated it may have done as it did with me) and v'ula. You're done!

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 1, 2021 Views 33,481 Applies to: