Can't change resolution in Windows 8 to open apps

Just purchased Inspiron 15z ultrabook.  It worked on day  one, but now when I try to click on apps error appears that says I do not have high enough resolution.  When I get into change resolution the dropdown menu does not highlight or drop down.  How do I change resolution so I can open apps?

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft community where you can find all the answers related to windows.

As per the description, Windows 8 apps are not working as the resolution is not correct. You are unable to change the resolution too.

Please follow the methods to fix the Apps and resolution of the computer:

Method 1: Run the Windows 8 App Troubleshooter.

The troubleshooter automatically fixes some issues that might prevent your apps from running, including suboptimal screen resolution and incorrect security or account settings:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/4/F24D0C03-4181-4E5B-A23B-5C3A6B5974E3/apps.diagcab

Method 2: Follow the instructions in the link below:

What to do if you have problems with an app

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/what-troubleshoot-problems-app

Method 3: Let’s perform SFC Scan on the computer and check for any missing or corrupted system files.

a. Press “Windows Key + Q” to open Charms Bar.

b. Type “cmd” without quotes in the search box.

c. On the left pane, right click on the “cmd” option and select “Run as Administrator”.

d. Type ‘sfc /scannow’ without quotes and hit enter.

Do let us know if you have any other queries pertaining to Windows in the future. We will be happy to help. We, at Microsoft strive towards excellence and provide our customers with the best support.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 552 Applies to: