Canon MX410 printer constantly goes offline on Windows 8

Hello,

My Lenova Ideapad Z580 constantly 'loses' the shared wireless printer.  The only workaround I have is to uninstall the driver, then reinstall the driver so it 'finds' it on the network again.  Any reboot causes this to happen, but it also occurs at random times when the laptop hasn't been turned off.  We even reset the printer and then re-installed it on the network in case something had changed there.  None of the other laptops in our house (using various platforms) have this problem, so I have to assume it is an error in Windows 8.

I got this laptop in April 2013, but this problem didn't start until July 2013 so I believe an update may be the culprit.

Is this a known issue and is there a permanent fix I can use?  Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Answer
Answer

Hi,

This issue may happen due to incorrect registry value, incorrect printer or network sharing settings.

Method 1:
If the printer is offline then try these steps to connect to network.

a. Press Window + Q and type Devices and printers.

b. Right-click on the Printer and click on see what's printing.

c. Right-click on new print queue.

b. Then clear the Use Printer Offline setting.

c. This resets the registry key to the correct value.

Note: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully.

Method 2:
If the issue persists, I would suggest you to try the steps in the article. Check if it helps.

Fix printer problems
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/printer-problems-in-windows-help#fix-printer-problems=windows-8&v1h=win8tab4&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Refer to the article for additional information.

Add a device or PC to a network
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/add-device-or-pc-to-network

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with updated status of the issue to assist you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 2, 2020 Views 9,750 Applies to: