Canon MG5220 printer drivers not working with Windows 8

I have a Canon MG5220 which will not work with my newly purchased Windows 8 Lenovo Ultrabook.  I called Canon and after some things they checked, they advised that I need a similar driver from Microsoft that will work for my Windows 8 to use the Canon.  Please help.
Answer
Answer
they advised that I need a similar driver from Microsoft that will work for my Windows 8 to use the Canon.

It's possible that Canon have delegated downloading of drivers to Windows Update.   Then you could use Device Manager to check for an update.   Or perhaps the update would only appear as an optional one?   You can also go to the Microsoft Update Catalog to see if there are any drivers there which would be appropriate.

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=canon

So, lots of stuff for Canon available that way but adding mg to the search query yields no results, though perhaps your model would be compatible with one of the others which is available?

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
I have a Canon MG5220 which will not work with my newly purchased Windows 8 Lenovo Ultrabook.  I called Canon and after some things they checked, they advised that I need a similar driver from Microsoft that will work for my Windows 8 to use the Canon.  Please help.
Canon either supports their device under a given operating system or they do not.  Microsoft is not responsible for supplying drivers for hardware they do not manufacturer or support in any other way.  That has always (likely always will) fell to those who actually manufactured, sell and support the device in every way.

So...

Canon tech support followed their script and/or lied and/or had no script or knowledge of the subject at hand.

The Canon PIXMA MG5220 (<-- link to the Canon support page for said device) has downloadable drivers and such for Windows 8 (32-bit and 64-bit) available.  Download and install it.

Now - I suppose it is possible you have Windows RT?  It's also supported under RT according to Canon:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/windows
The note for RT is, "For devices running Windows RT, the inbox printer driver will be installed by Plug and Play. Canon Inkjet Print Utility & Easy-Photo Print will be downloaded for free at the Windows Store."
.-
Shenan Stanley
MVP 2005-2011 & 2013-2015
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 12, 2019 Views 4,093 Applies to: