Cannot change screen resolution

I cannot change my screen resolution the option is grayed out. I have the PC connected to a 42 inch 720P TV and my resolution is stuck at 1920 by 1080 which windows says is recommended. I have updated all of my display adapter drivers even uninstalled and re installed from the website. I have an ATI Radeon 5450 video card connected by HDMI. I have tried everything i can think of to fix this problem please can anyone help me?

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 1,465 Applies to:

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for choosing Windows 8. I will definitely try and help you change the resolution.

Could you provide us some additional information?

1.       Since when are you facing the issue?

2.       Do you have any third party security program installed on the computer?

3.       Are you aware of any changes made to the computer prior to the issue?

You may also run a complete scan using the Microsoft Safety Scanner and check for any infections.

Note: There is a chance of data loss if any files are infected and which may be deleted in the cleanup process.

If the issue persists you may start the computer in a clean boot state and check. . Clean boot helps eliminate any third party software conflict.

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow step 3 mentioned in the article to boot the computer to normal startup.

Hope the information was helpful and do let us know if you need any assistance in the future regarding Windows. We will be glad to help.

Rohit Chettri
Forum Moderator

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I want to know how you got 1920 by 1080 from a 720p TV. I have a 720p TV and the max supported resolution is 1280 X 720. at any proper refresh rate. Which BTW is not supported by Windows 8 Apps (lame). Did you try right clicking on the desktop and going to resolution and moving the slider down to 1280 X 720? Also try to go to Advanced Setting on the resolution screen and look for your ATI catalyst control panel. There witll be more options in there if you have it installed. If not, install the catalyst suite from ATI for the control panel. I know when I had an ATI graphics card and the Catalyst control panel, it had an option to force resolutions and refresh rates not supported by my TV. It might be forcing a resolution and preventing Windows from changing the resolution. Or, you can "also run a complete scan using the Microsoft Safety Scanner and check for any infections."???????????????????????????????????

Sorry this didn't help.

Another note: You can also use the Catalyst Control panel the other way to foce a 720 X 1280 resolution thus bypassing the Windows resolution control.

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the computer running on two 24 inch monitors both on 1920 by 1080 and I was able to change the resolution anytime I wanted. then when I connected it to the TV the resolution automatically set to 1920 by 1080 the slider is grayed out where I can not even try to change it. I am using avg free security but I don't think that is causing the issue. I have tried to use catalyst control center to change the resolution as well and it doesn't give me an option to change it. I uninstalled catalyst and re installed it still nothing. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello all i have resolved the issue apparently the AMD catalyst controller driver for windows 8 has issues I un installed all AMD software and Installed the drivers and software for windows 7 and i was able to change the resolution. thank you all for your suggestions and help 

Sorry this didn't help.

Oh. Ok. You said ATI, not AMD. I am currently running AMD on my machine an I too had to load the driver twice. The disk supplied would not work so I downloaded the soft version from the manufacturer and ran it with compatibility settings. Solved my problem too. This is just an update for those who may stumble across this troubleshooting. Glad to hear it's fixed. For others out there: did you use the AMD Catalyst or the Windows settings to fix the problem? My quote I referred to in my last post was a jab at The Windows engineer's suggestions. They were way outside of correct. 

Sorry this didn't help.