Bug?: Windows 8 PS/2 Keyboard not detected after wireless keyboard used

I have Windows 8 standard on a new custom desktop PC. 

I connected a Microsoft Basic Keyboard 1.0A which has a PS/2 plug and the keyboard worked fine.

I then disconnected the keyboard and connected a Microsoft Wireless keyboard 3000 V2.0 via the supplied USB dongle.

I turned off the PC, took out the wireless USB dongle and connected the PS/2 keyboard.

The num lock led lights up on the keyboard, but the pressing the keys has no effect.  Weirdly, when the PS/2 plug is connected to the PC, the PC turns on. 

When I look at human devices on the control panel no keyboard is displayed.

I'm now using a USB keyboard to type this and it is working fine, but I would like to be able to use my PS/2 Microsoft keyboard with Windows 8.

Has anyone else experiencing the same thing, or able to reproduce this?

Question Info

Last updated April 26, 2019 Views 41,299 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
I am seeing exactly the same thing, The PS2 keyboard works fine in BIOS mode before boot, but fails once windows is up and running, I installed Windows 8 with a USB keyboard, and then switched to the MSFT Wireless Comfort Keyboard. and so far have not got it to work,

Ok here is the answer, thanks to Serdar for this:

Windows supports both USB and PS/2 keyboards, and can in fact support having more than one such input device plugged in at a time. However, when a PS/2 keyboard is uninstalled and a USB keyboard is made the main input device (via the Keyboard section in the Control Panel), PS/2 keyboard support is disabled.

This can be frustrating if a user needs to plug a PS/2 keyboard back in to perform debugging in Windows, or when a USB keyboard no longer works correctly due to problems with the USB subsystem. Note: A PS/2 keyboard will still allow access to the BIOS and will work in the boot-loader; it just won't work correctly in Windows. (It will, however, usually work in the Recovery Console.)

PS/2 keyboard devices are governed by a kernel-level service called i8042prt, short for the technical name for the PS/2 keyboard port. When a USB keyboard is added as a replacement for a PS/2 keyboard, the i8042prt service is forcibly disabled. This is to prevent a conflict between PS/2 and USB devices, but if a PS/2 keyboard is reinstalled, the service is not automatically restarted.

To switch back to using a PS/2 keyboard, the user needs to edit the Registry to restart thei8042prt service. To do this, InHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt,, edit the Startvalue and set it to a hex or decimal value of 1. Reboot and change to a PS/2 keyboard via the Keyboards section in Control Panel.

20 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

With only the keyboard PS/2 plugged in the keyboard still does not work. 

Restarted with USB mouse and PS/2 keyboard and the keyboard still does not work.

Unplugged PS/2 keyboard and plugged in USB keyboard and keyboard works.

Thanks

Cam

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.