Black (backlit) screen on netbook after Windows 8 boot screen logo

Hey,

I just got a new netbook that was preloaded with Windows 7, but I wanted to upgrade to Windows 8 so I did. I downloaded and installed the appropriate graphics driver from Intel, and mostly everything else works fine (crisper picture, HDMI-out functionality).

However, when I shut down the computer and turn it back on (using "Fast Startup" mode, which I'd prefer to keep using) it gives a black screen after the Windows 8 boot logo, which I can actually get around by putting the computer to sleep and waking it back up. In addition, strangely it works fine when there is a HDMI cord connected, but not when no HDMI cord is connected.

I've exhausted all avenues where drivers are concerned, I dug around for more versions and such, but to no avail. Is there anything I can do, does anyone know a quick fix for this issue or have experienced it before?

SPECS:

- Acer Aspire One D270-1895 Netbook PC

- Windows 8 Professional

- Intel Atom N2600 CPU

- Intel NM10 Express Chipset

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for choosing Windows 8 and for providing us an opportunity to assist you.

I understand that you have issues with the boot screen going to black screen. I will try to help you with this.

Method 1: Boot the computer in Safe mode with Networking and check if the issue persists. Follow these steps to start the computer in safe mode.

Click the link and follow the steps “Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode)”

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode

Check if you face the same issue in safe mode. If the issue doesn’t persists in safe mode, the place the computer in clean boot and check.

Method 2: Perform Clean Boot and check if you are able to delete file.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows 8 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Important: Reset the computer to start as usual.

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to boot to normal startup.

a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b) In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.

c) On the ‘General’ tab, click the ‘Normal Startup’ option, and then click ‘OK’.

d) When you are prompted to restart the computer, click ‘Restart’.

Method 3: Please check if the computer meets the required criteria to get Windows 8 installed.

Windows 8 system requirements

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/system-requirements

Method 4: Try to update the Display drivers.

Steps:

1) Open the Device Manager by Pressing Windows key + R and typing Devmgmt.msc 

2) Right click on your display adapter and update.

Method 5: Please run System maintenance troubleshooter.

Follow these steps:

a) Press Windows key + W on the keyboard

b) Type Troubleshooter then click onSettings under the Search field

c) In Settings click onFind and Fix Problems

d) Click on System and security

e) Click System maintenance follow the prompts from there.

Also install the updated video drivers from the manufacturer’s website.

Please post back if you are still experiencing the issue. I will be glad to provide you with the additional options available that you can utilize to get the issue resolved.

Abdul Raqeeb Kola
Former Microsoft Senior Support Engineer/ Sr. Blogger

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 713 Applies to: