Asus DVD Drive not working

I know there have been quite a few posts on this matter in other forums as well as this one, but none of the proposed solutions have corrected my problem.

I did a clean install of Windows 8 on my Intel SSD (C:), I have a secondary 1TB (E:) and a USB 3.0 external drive (F:).  I normally have a D: drive for the DVD drive.  I installed WIndows 8 via an Install DVD I created from the downloaded installer.  I was able to complete a clean install. 

I have been using Windows 8 with no problems till I popped a DVD with some pictures (My wedding pictures!!) into my computer. Then I realized my D: drive was no longer there....  I restarted thinking it was a fluke. I tried using multiple other DVD/CDs, but no matter what I did the DVD drive was not showing up.

First thing I thought was it didn't have a drive letter assigned, so I went into Computer Management/ Disk Management and the DVD drive was not showing up there.  Under Device Manager I can see: DVD/CD-ROM drives > ASUS DRW-24B1ST. It has a Yellow ! symbol on the drive.  I uninstalled the driver, restarted and it still had the yellow !.

I went to ASUS website and attempted to install the driver but was given an error message that the device was not found.  So I attempted to manually update the driver but get this message "Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.  Windows cannot start this hardware device because it's configuration information (in the Registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

I found a forum post referencing the registry providing this command "reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001"  I ran this command as administrator, restarted my computer but still do not have a functioning driver.

Does anyone know how I can "tweak" the registry so that this DVD drive will show up and be usable again?  I do not believe there is a fault with the drive itself since it was used to install windows 8 and has been very well taken care of.  I did check to make sure it was properly plugged in to the motherboard as well.

Thank you to any and all for your help!

Question Info

Last updated November 19, 2018 Views 95,914 Applies to:
Answer
FIXED!!!

I found the solution! So my above post will make me look like a complete idiot now, but ASUS's tech support was amazing and provided a fix!  It 100% corrected my issue and my DVD drive shows up in the My Computer window again.

Below are the instructions they sent me.  I am not sure if this is specific to the ASUS DRW-24B1ST Drive, or if this will correct the problem with any DVD drive. 

Click on the Start --> Run, type "regedit" and click the OK
Expand the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or clicking the "+" next to it.)
Expand the SYSTEM Key
Expand the CurrentControlSet Key
Expand the Control Key
Expand the Class Key
Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-

189 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Okay, here are the complete instructions!

Click on the Start --> Run, type "regedit" and click the OK
Expand the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or clicking the "+" next to it.)
Expand the SYSTEM Key
Expand the CurrentControlSet Key
Expand the Control Key
Expand the Class Key
Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
High light this key by left clicking once on it
On the right hand side you are looking for UpperFilters and LowerFilters under the Name column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
Exit the registry and restart the computer.
About the issue" Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs", please refer to the KB314060 from Microsoft and have a test.

For some reason it doesnt like me posting the numbers..... it breaks the paragraph....  So where it says numbers, you are looking for the following..

4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-
08002BE10318

122 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.