AMD Radeon HD 7400M Series doesn't work in Windows 8

As the title...

My Graphic Card can't running on windows 8 even it's been up to date...

So how to resolve it??

Question Info

Last updated December 7, 2019 Views 20,598 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Sonny,

Thank you for posting your question in Microsoft Community.

I understand that your graphics card AMD Radeon HD 7400M Series doesn't work. Correct me if I am wrong.

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will definitely help you in fixing the issue.

To help you suggest more steps to resolve the issue, I would appreciate if you could answer the following questions:

1.What is the make and model of the computer?

2. How did you update your graphics card?

Please follow the below methods and check the issue:

Method 1:

Check  whether AMD Radeon HD 7400M Series graphics card is compatible from the below link.

Compatibility Center:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/win8/CompatCenter/Home

Method 2:

If it is not compatible for Windows 8, install the drivers in compatible mode.

Follow these steps:

a)   Press the ‘Windows + W’ key on the keyboard.

b)   Type compatibility in the search box and then press enter.

c)   Click “Run programs made for previous versions of Windows” option from the list appeared in the left side.

d)   Select the drivers and install.

For reference:

What is program compatibility? :

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/what-program-compatibility

Program Compatibility Assistant: Frequently asked questions:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/program-compatibility-assistant-faq

Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us in order to assist you accordingly.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the same problem. This reply is incorrect. Many people including me have this problem and desperately searching for a correct answer - please help us!

Regarding your reply elements:

"1.What is the make and model of the computer?" - ASUS X54H-SX275V, but what is the relevance?"

"2. How did you update your graphics card?" - By Windows 8 download and by AMD homepage download.

"Method 1:" - It is not on the list. But when Windows 8 was installed, the app checked for compatibility and reported nothing on the graphics card.

"Method 2:" - The four steps a-d does not lead to the drivers. However, the Device manager / displaycard / AMD radeon ... / right click / properties lead me to a similar window - but for this device, the compatibility tab does not exist, so it is pretty difficult to follow the recommendation.

Sorry this didn't help.

same issue here. Driver has been installed by windows 8 itself but it has an exclamation point indicating that its not compatible and not working. I tried to install the original driver that i had what happened is that windows 8 crashed initially. Have been looking for the right driver but found none not even in the amd website. Tried your options here but no good also. I just wondered that some old amd video cards nvidia video cards has been supported. Why not this one? Does windows 8 gone mad? By the way my notebook is msi model : fx420 processor type: b940. Just to give you an idea I had a hybrid video card. What amuses me is that windows 8 detected the intel built in video card but its hybrid amd card that has 1gb of vram is not detected or working. Please explain. Hope to hear from you soon. Or at least an update please. We need it badly asap. Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

"1.What is the make and model of the computer?" - ASUS X54H-SX275V, but what is the relevance?"

@ Petnel

Usually that would help find your machine's specifications but BING says "No results found".   Did you make a typo?   Or perhaps you can find your machine's specifications for us.   ; }

Google found something similar

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/X54HR/#specifications

Apparently there is a BIOS update for that machine.   Do you have it?

That is a laptop which uses only an AMD chip so if you can't even use the W7 driver in compatibility mode you may have to do what an older model HP Envy user did with similar technology...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/windows-8-hp-envy-15-installation-issue/c7a2f670-a44c-4c45-b87a-7ebcb9d3eff0?msgId=e9fc466d-e0fb-4aa4-90ce-052b4f660071 

Otherwise some have reported getting something that works by using the latest (beta version) of AMD's Catalyst Control Center.   Fortunately, Asus is not one of the known problem cases, although I would suspect your HD7470M might be a potential problem case, being covered only by  HD7000M  as a supported category.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Sorry this didn't help.

http://leshcatlabs.net/index.php/category/unifl
i got version 12.10 and mine works perfectly

Sorry this didn't help.

As suggested above, I installed the latest (beta version) of AMD's catalyst CC. By end of installation my screen went black and I could not do anything about it. Went to the dealer and they made the display work again by means of external monitor. Original problem still remained. The guys suggested I uninstalled the apps that caused problems and reinstalled, which I did, and then it worked :-) .... except that now a new issue arose: All video streaming (e.g. youtube) is not working. So, one step forward and two steps back.

Br Petnel

Sorry this didn't help.

As suggested above, I installed the latest (beta version) of AMD's catalyst CC.

Why are you replying to my post this way?   This would be an example of why you should first be trying to install such things in W7 compatibility mode (with an earlier version of .NET Framework if necessary) and then if none of that worked going to Ezra's VM procedure for creating a new image.

screen went black and I could not do anything about it.             

Demonstrating why you should have some contingency plans in place, such as having bootable recovery media.

---

Sorry this didn't help.

don't searching the radeon driver in the  adm.com ,just enter the your laptops manufacturer site and download driver for your video card,you can't help any other method, i have HP pavilion dv7-6c00  and it only help the driver which is in the HP.com in my laptop's driver,i've searched the drivers for a month and finally i've founded

Sorry this didn't help.

Had huge expectations of Windows 8. But was let down because they could not adopt a driver that can adapt with my Radeon HD 7400M. Is downgrading to Win 7 the only option left ..????? Or is there an updated driver expected anytime soon  ..???

Sorry this didn't help.

Had huge expectations of Windows 8. But was let down because they could not adopt a driver that can adapt with my Radeon HD 7400M. Is downgrading to Win 7 the only option left ..????? Or is there an updated driver expected anytime soon  ..???

Anyone else find a solution for this?  I have been searching everywhere, read forums on AMD, microsoft, dell and more with no clear solution in sight!

I have uninstalled everything, and reinstalled with the latest drivers, no luck.  It appears that windows relied on the manufacturers to release a new update for allowing the switchable graphics to function properly.  HP seems to have solved for their users, but as i am on a Dell Inspiron N5110 running the factory installed AMD Radeon 7400M, i have no clear solution.

I have reverted my computer to a restore 3 days ago to fix all the messing around i have done to find a solution.  My computer still only recognizes the Intel HD Graphics 3000 on my pc, even though i have the Radeon 7400m. 

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP FIND A CLEAR SOLUTION?

Sorry this didn't help.