Alienware M17xR2 Windows 8 - Problem connecting bluetooth Microsoft wedge mouse

I have an Alienware M17x R2 laptop running Windows 8. I have just bought a Microsoft Touch Wedge Mouse and am trying to connect to Bluetooth. Since the M17x R2 Bluetooth drivers are not supported on Windows 8 I have downloaded and installed WIDCOMM Bluetooth drivers which work fine (I can pair with other devices).

Initially the mouse seemed to connect (as it moved on the screen) and an entry appeared in devices, however after just a few minutes the mouse never worked again.

Now, when I try to pair with my new mouse (in discovery mode) Windows 8 sees the mouse and I see the "Microsoft Wedge Touch Mouse" icon in my "Searching for devices" dialog. When I click next (mouse still in discovery mode), I always get the message "That didn't work", "Try again, and make sure your mouse is still discoverable.".

I have followed all the Microsoft help pages on Bluetooth mouse connection

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/help/support/how-to/mouse/Bluetooth

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/help/support/troubleshooting/mouse/wireless-Bluetooth

but no luck. I have restored to a system restore point before I installed WIDCOMM but this still does not seem to work.

|

Hi Zakaria,

I would suggest you to refer to the artciles given below and follow the instructions provided.

Windows 8 How-to: Mice

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/help/windows-8/how-to/mouse/use-wedge-touch-mouse

Also try installing the latest drivers from the link given below and check if it helps.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/wedge-touch-mouse#support

Hope it helps, if you have any further queries, feel free to post. We will be glad to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry, I tried these before posting without success. The problem is that the mouse (in discovery mode) is visible when adding a device, but then I get the message "That didn't work", "Try again, and make sure your mouse is still discoverable." every time. It never gets past this part. I think the OS is storing information about the bluetooth device but I am unclear where it is stored. I have searched the registry but found nothing.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Zakaria,

I would suggest you to install the latest drivers for the mouse from the Manufacturer's website.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-in/d/wedge-touch-mouse

Hope this fix the issue. reply back if the issue persists, we are here to help you.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

I already tried the latest drivers but downloaded them again to be sure. In fact, I rebuilt my laptop from scratch (repartitioned hard drive) and reinstalled Windows 8. It is still doing the same thing. It's weird because I tried the mouse on other machines and it works but not on my Alienware. Not sure if its a hardware fault or just an incompatibility. If it's an incompatibility, its not one that I can find documented anywhere. I really need to figure out where the attached Bluetooth devices configuration information is stored (registry / file system / location) and then I investigate further.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

have you found a solution to this? i am going through the same thing right now, an advice will be more than welcomed
thank you!

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

No sorry, no solution to this. I sold the mouse in the end :(

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

I was just having this issue, too.  The problem for me was that I didn't put the mouse into discoverable.  The mouse does not get into discoverable mode like most other devices.  One first has to turn the device on (blue light).  Wait a couple seconds, then hold the powerr for about 5 sec, then a green and red lights will flash somewhere.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 1,140 Applies to: