8.0 GB RAM installed, 3.97 GB usable.

Along with 64 bit Windows, I have installed 2*4=8 GB Ram in 2 of 4 available slots. 
In My Computer Properties it Shows " Installed Memory (RAM) : 8 GB (3.97 GB usable).
In Task Manager it shows that Hardware Reserved 4 GB.
What can I do to use all the memory?
My PC Configuration -

Processor : AMD FX 8120 (Eight Core Processor) -3.1GHz
Mother Board : MSI 970 A-G46
Graphics Card : ATI Radeon HD 5450
Hard Disk : 2 TB.
My PC performance has become slower. 
Please Help......................
I have exactly the same thing. 8GB installed and only 3.98GB usable.

The "Memory Mapping" is "Enabled" in the bios settings, and in the BOOT Advanced options the "Maximum Memory" box is Unchecked.   I even tried setting it at 8192 but still only 3.98GB usable?

It also shows 4114MB Hardware reserved. I only have one external hard drive attached.

And in the Bios it shows 8GB Physical Memory.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Same issues ,BUT found you need to install A M Ds newest driver for video card and or A P U if necessary ; run memory diagnostic as I found 2 out of 4 memory cards were damaged ; after issues with corrupt runtime-broker in win8 system as I had 16gb ddr3(4x4gb) now have 8gb ddr3(2x4gb) and runs better on 2.7ghz A M D 3400 A P U as only video on a 200 watt power supply with 4 sata hdd's and with usb hdtv for Windows Media Center. Set standard bios ,do not tweak until Microsoft fixes win8.1 s problems as I think these issues burned out my memory somewhat(and(2x4gb) 8gb ddr3 ain't cheap either!)Clear IE10-IE11 caches with registry cleaner, this helps too....         ***check bios memory setting for memory ,is it 1333,1600,or 1800 just make sure its set to original (manufacturers setting) ,not higher motherboard tweaked setting!!!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Edwindwight,
I have the latest driver, 13.9 for Radeon 5450.
Ran Memory Diagnostics and found no problems.
In BIOS :
            - DRAM Frequency 1333 MHz.
            - Physical Memory 8192 MB
            - Cache 8192 KB
            - L3 Cache 8192 KB 
Everything's fine, But it still shows Hardware Reserve 4Gb.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Interesting , I wonder if each stick of memory is same version number(as this was my memory issue as the older was best , and new was causing crashes-or was shipped as damaged) and try to put both memory sticks in same color slots ;try black then blue ..FIRST put memory sticks in a plastic-wax grocery bag or anti-static bag before replacing them on motherboard(For just a minute or so) . It's either the memory or ATI graphics effecting the hardware recognition. IF Possible contact motherboard manufacturer for support as  a s u s helped me repair my issues as I was totally frustrated getting PC ran into problem errors all the time ; Now runs like a Ferrari , not a vw bug :} If all fails get an A S U S board , they're always reliable and support is great too. ASUS fm1 CSM Motherboard ,                                         dual core AMDRadeon6410APU-CPU , 2x4gb ddr3 1600 XMS Corsair  ***upgrades for future if needed with CPU , Memory ,Self built in Jan2013, under 200.00.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2024 Views 336 Applies to: