old games slow on windows 8

Why old games from like a decade ago, run slow on Windows 8, but run ok on Windows 7 and XP? I have 2 games for example: Mortyr (from 1999) and Airfix Dogfighter (from 2000), they all run slow on Windows 8, but used to run great on Windows XP and 7. I've tried all compatibilities options and run as administrator. My Windows is updated and so are all my drivers and directx. My computer has specs that I don't need to mention, because those games are so sold it definitely isn't the problem. I run COD Black Ops on Highest settings on Windows 8 with no problem.

Could it be Directx 11? Because those games use Direct3D from Directx 7. Maybe an update for old compatibility on Directx would fix this?

I just ask for Microsoft to look it up, and maybe do an update that supports old games!!!

Thanks. Sorry for bad english.

|
Hi BrunoDantas,
Thank you for posting the issue in Microsoft community forum.
We will help you resolve the issue.
As we understand the old games runs slow on windows 8 as compared to previous operating systems.
Do you get any error message while playing games?

Here are a few steps you can follow:
For games compatible with windows 8 can check in windows 8 compatibility center to know the games which is compatible with windows 8
Reference link
Method 1:
Run the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter refer:

Method 2:
How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
Reset the computer to start as usual refer Step 3.

Hope this resolves the issue. If issue persists, you can write back to us and we will be happy to assist you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Did all those things and indeed the games aren't compatible with Windows 8, but that's it?

Nothing could be done. Updated the video driver again, but only Airfix Dogfighter started running better, still slow on Mortyr!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

For me it's Civilisation II.

The annoying thing is that it runs perfectly otherwise. No crashes. Everything works. It's just so s l o w.

If it simply "exploded" I'd write it off as obsolete software (it is very old), but because it does actually run the slowness feels something like a compatibility layer (such as WoW64) is choking it, and that's frustrating.

Was fine on 64 bit Win 7, s l o w on 64 bit Win 8.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

For me its Nascar Heat(2000).this is bad.may have to get rid of Windows 8 because I play and edit the game a lot.its ashame for me too.this is my only problem with Windows 8.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I got rid of windows 8 already! And guess what? Those old games are running fast and awsome on windows 7! Looks like windows 8 isn't for nostalgie games!

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My Suggestion is downgrading to windows 7 I am going to do that Its not loading my favorite game Rumble FIghter that ive been playing for years

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 20, 2021 Views 6,956 Applies to: