Question

Q: My Empire Earth is not compatible with Windows 8, please help me! This thread is locked from future replies

This game works on windows 7, and here they write about runtime error!

Hello Euro,

Thank you for approaching Microsoft Community for assistance.

I understand that you have issues playing Empire Earth game. I would definitely help you in fixing this issue.

Let us start with couple of questions:

1.       Which version of Empire Earth game are you trying to play?

2.       What is the exact error message you receive when you try to play the game?

I would suggest you to install the game in compatibility mode and then check how it works.

Program compatibility is a mode in Windows that lets you run programs written for earlier versions of Windows. Most programs and games written for Windows Vista and Windows 7 also work in Windows 8 Release Preview, but some older programs might run poorly or not run at all.

Follow these steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode:

a.       Right click on the game setup file and select “Properties”.

b.      Select “Compatibility” Tab.

c.       Place a check mark next to "Run this program in Compatibility mode” and select previous version of Windows supported by the software, from the drop down list.

f.        Then click on “Apply” and “Ok” option.

d.      Then install the driver.

I hope this helps you to fix the issue. If the issue persists or you have any other issues with Windows, please do post it in Microsoft Community. We would be happy to help you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Let us start with couple of questions:

1.       Which version of Empire Earth game are you trying to play?

2.       What is the exact error message you receive when you try to play the game?

1. Empire Earth I (first)
2. Runtime error

=====
P.S. your advise with Compatibility doesn't work
P.P.S. sorry for my poor English, because I'm from Belarus :)

Sorry this didn't help.

92 people were helped by this reply

Hello Euro,

1.       Did you try installing the game in compatibility mode?

2.       When exactly do you receive this run time error?

Try installing the came in Compatibility mode and then check how it works.

Follow the steps mentioned in my previous reply to know how to install the game in compatibility mode.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, If you are facing any problem in Windows 8 just delete those 2 files from the game directory (DX7HRDisplay.dll) & (DX7HRTnLDisplay.dll) and it will take the settings of your system's directx..Good Luck

Try it and let me know

Sorry this didn't help.

I managed to run Empire Earth after fiddling with it for a couple of days - reached the point where I just wanted to chuck it in the bin!

Before starting the game, right click on EE and select properties, choose windows 98/ME compatibility mode, then run. While on the first screen, choose game settings and lower screen resolution to the lowest it will go, I also turned the music off. If the game starts, which it did for me, you can go back to startup screen and change the screen resolution gradually (which I am in the process of doing) until it crashes or freezes again, then go back to last known working screen resolution. Hope this works.

Sorry this didn't help.

I found a fix for Empire Earth. for my computer.  My game kept freezing on me after I would start it. I also use Windows 8. The page is here http://www.save-ee.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5532

Sorry this didn't help.

9 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 12862 Last updated: February 22, 2018 Applies to: