How do I access the games without using metro

Windows 8 that is preinstalled on my new laptop was driving me nuts until I found and installed classic shell...now it's fine unless I want something that sends me to a metro app like games and it's always in full screen that can't be closed.  Since metro is basically a bloody nuisance without a touch screen and I would like to access the games from the classic shell menu and have them open in a more traditional fashion.

If I can solve this problem I should be able to completely ignore the metro apps which are worthless for my needs.

Thanks for any help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 39 Applies to:
I use Metro with the built-in touchpad that came with my computer, but since that isn't sorking for you, you may want to try Start8 from StarDock: http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/features.asp.  I here it can open Metro in Desktop, or maybe it was Start Menu 8 from IObIt: http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php.  I don't use one myself, so I'm not sure.
My Tech Blog: http://hosch250.wordpress.com/

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

can't be closed? Alt+F4 not working? Start+D and killing it from taskmanager?

Anyway, everything you can see on the start menu as an app is in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps
You may need to take ownership of the folder before opening it. And be careful not to mess it up!

Sorry this didn't help.

I would recommend leaving those files alone unless you really know what you are doing - they don't all get removed after an uninstall, and could continue to mess things up.  Also, if you REALLY know what you are doing, you can access them from the built-in, disabled administrator account that you can find and enable using lusrmgr.msc (typed from the start screen) and can access them without taking ownership.  You still cannot delete the remaining files however - I tried to remove the remains of Norton Studio (it came with my computer, I uninstalled it and never used it) and it wouldn't let me.
My Tech Blog: http://hosch250.wordpress.com/

Sorry this didn't help.

I would recommend leaving those files alone unless you really know what you are doing - they don't all get removed after an uninstall, and could continue to mess things up.

[...]

You still cannot delete the remaining files however - I tried to remove the remains of Norton Studio (it came with my computer, I uninstalled it and never used it) and it wouldn't let me.  

1. Agree.. it's just that I can't let my machine own my files or its own files! a matter of ego...

2. I could force a few deletions (in Fonts folder) after taking ownership and restarting in safe mode w/ cmd prompt.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the reply's.  I don't have to many particular griped with Win 8 since I installed "Classic Shell" and. for the most part, it looks and functions like Win 7.  For awhile I did try using Metro and I just didn't like it.  With a touchscreen tablet... yeah it might be nice but truthfully, I've been using windows since it first came out and the change to Metro is just a bloody nuisance for no obvious benefit when using a large screen laptop and mouse.

The games are my biggest gripe because I can't find a way to shrink the screen size.  They open full screen and the image is too large for comfortable viewing.  Oh well, reckon it's time to get out of my comfort zone and move forward.

Sorry this didn't help.