DirectDraw was deprecated in Windows 8, but I need it for an old game. Is there any way to get ahold of it for this version of Windows?

I was going to play an old Japanese visual novel/fighter game from 2004 called "Duel Savior". I swapped over to Japanese locale to install it, but when I went to try to run the game, it refused to start. In place of the game, there was only a DirectDraw error. I can't say for certain what the error said, since it decided to present itself in hiragana, but I decided to research the problem. From what I understand, the game 'needs' DirectDraw (2D) to run. Since DirectDraw was deprecated in Windows 8, I can't find any way to play this on my computer aside from running a Virtual Machine, which is just annoying to deal with. Is there any solution to this problem?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Name L Ess,

Thank you for asking the Question!

Sorry to know that you face issues with a game. As I get it right you get an DirectDraw error when you run Duel Savior game.

I need to ask you a few questions in order to assist you in a better way.

1. Does the issue persist with a particular game?

2. What is the exact error message related to DirectDraw?

Run the game in Windows XP Compatibility mode and check.

a: Right Click on the setup file and select Properties.

b: Now click the compatibility tab .

c: Place a check mark on the option “ Run this program in compatibility mode for

d: Select Windows XP.

Reply to us if you face any issues with the game  or any other Windows Issue, and I would be glad to assist you again and try to rectify the issue as early as possible.

Have a nice day!

Hope this information helps.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The issue persists with the game "Duel Savior" as mentioned before.

As for your second question, I really don't know. As I said, it's written in Hiragana (mostly) and I'm not quite at the level to be able to translate the Japanese writing systems.

Running the program in compatibility mode will not work.

Sorry this didn't help.

I play with emulators and I find that my new windows 8 isn't compatible with full screen mode for most older games. Is there some sort of workaround? ...................... Specifically when I run the ZNES emulator, if I put the games into full-screen I have to push the windows key and get back to the start screen. Which is so annoying. I can't wait for the update to put the Start menu back like it's supposed to be. (Which is a good thing it does not just fall to black screen of death... Which the typical procedure is to pull the plug out of the wall... not something I take pleasure in doing, to a five hundred dollar and up, piece of equipment. I think adding more, and using dynamic Memory helped a bunch...) I mean having to go into file explorer to call up programs that don't appear on the start screen is really annoying and then my task bar is reaching all the way to the side with programs I use Regularly... I keep software I am currently working on on the desktop. So I don't usually clutter it up with shortcuts. Because the desktop is where I move files when I am having difficulty to remind me that I need to find a solution, then I poke it right back where they should go, just like you would with a regular desk and filing cabinet. I am old enough to know Basic. If you don't start fixing these compatibility issues, I will release a simple fix myself. You absolutely know it's possible. You want to sell windows pay to play games. THAT'S right where I draw the line. *Hits desk* It's not enough to make games that you pay $50 dollars for, but you want people to pay to change a shirt in a video game. What kind of **** are you selling??? Makes me sick. Lot's of people use emulators and virtual machines and Windows is a great platform for it. But Linux is a bit different. Where you fail with emulation and virtual machines, Linux will pick up the slack. Ubuntu is growing wildly and so is emulation popularity. So your growing lack of backward compatibility is pushing people away. Don't you understand, Linux is FREE. The Games are Free. Security is nigh uncrackable. You have no problems finding solutions to technical problems and the best part about it is you can do it yourself. I have a Bachelors of Science in Information Systems, with a concentration on Networks and Communications. But I really don't like MMORPG's or many online games; I don't really like having to wade through children to kill a Devil in **** with a Gargantuan Phallus, no wonder people are so afraid to let their children play the most popular MMORPG's. If I were a Christian this would upset me deeply, but as I am a Pagan, I laugh very hard at these things. It's not that I don't love RPG's but this is the last place I expect children, who need to be protected by you censoring my gab. Especially when that Devil has such a huge phallus. Or when gameplay is so effected by the coming home of school children that you can't even play between 3pm and 8pm. Then you have older FBI agents on your servers, pretending to be children, saying they are 18 and wanting to talk about ****... But you ALSO pay for this censorship, spying, psychological conditioning and attempted entrapment. Some people don't want the newest game, they want to play classic games most of them would play in full-screen if windows would simply have a plug in to add for video backwards compatibility, windows is just not wanting the competition. What's the problem can't compete with older FREE Games? 'Ima' go back to playing DOOM and Zelda, you decide your marketing strategy.

Sorry this didn't help.

It is possible to accelerate and also fix fullscreen DirectDraw applications in Windows 8. However you will not get the speed you were used to like in Windows 7 or before.

Save this as a *.reg file and modify the path to your game executable:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers]
"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\YourGame\\GameExecutable.exe"="$ DWM8And16BitMitigation Layer_ForceDirectDrawEmulation"

Then run the registry script.

12 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I just want to say this problem still there.

come on Microsoft. this is one problem that stops me from using windows 8 all the time. because I have to boot into windows 7 to run a program or game that using directdraw.

windows 8 comes out and kills directdraw. ba hum bug.

I tried that registry setting, but it forced the games into software mode and looked low res and really bad.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem with both versions of halo CE, This is not an isolated problem and it is caused by the Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2919442) [the update I installed and games stopped working] update with 3D acceleration and direct Draw are replaced with software emulation. The software emulation does not work for most games.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem with both versions of halo CE, This is not an isolated problem and it is caused by the Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2919442) [the update I installed and games stopped working] update with 3D acceleration and direct Draw are replaced with software emulation. The software emulation does not work for most games.

Im sorry but

KB2919442 is a tiworker update....

it fixes windows update problems.

I dont know why it would effect your games.

also the directdraw problem started with 8.0 before 8.1 and it updates came out. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi my name is Yancarlos and I have an issue.  DirectDraw was deprecated in Windows 8, but I need it for an old game. Is there any way to get ahold of it for this version of Windows?  the error is that I cant "Could not initialize graphic system. Make sure that your video card and driver are compatible with DirectDraw." and so I cant install DirectX 8.0a so can you please help.   its for the game Star Wars galactic Battlegrounds clone campaigns

Sorry this didn't help.

You should install DirectX 9.0c if you haven't yet (it's not provided by default with newer Windows versions), and though it won't fix DirectDraw in Windows 8.x, it may help you with your game. Here's the link http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Sorry this didn't help.

On my own Win 8.1 system. the DrirectDraw initialization problem arouse after updating new NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M drivers.
Learning in progress...

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 27, 2020 Views 19,815 Applies to: