Windows 8 - File Explorer hanging and desktop icon being shown as "white color" icons

Not sure if others have faced this issue, I have upgraded from windows 7 to windows 8 and done a clean install.

When I start the file explorer, it just shows the moving "green" color bar and nothing happens.  Just seems to be doing nothing.  On other instances if it does open the selected folder correctly, when you "right-click" on the file name, the "right-click" pop-up menu does not appear and it just hangs.

I have also seen that randomly, all the file associations are lost.  Like for example, all avi video files are no more showing their expected red color icon, ininstead all the files under the file explorer are shown as "white" color icons.  The same also happens when you open the desktop.

Rebooting the system brings everything back to normal.  Then the whole cycle repeats itself.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

|

Hi,

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will definitely try and help you in fixing the issue.

To help you suggest steps to resolve the issue, I would appreciate if you could answer the following questions:

1.       Do you have any third party security program installed on the computer?

2.       Are you aware of any changes made to the computer prior to the issue?

You may run a complete scan using the Microsoft Safety Scanner and check for any infections.

Note: There is a chance of data loss if any files are infected and which may be deleted in the cleanup process.

You may also run a System File Checker scan.

a)        Boot to the desktop view.

b)       Open command prompt, right click in the left corner when the Start windowappear and select command prompt (admin).

c)        Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

If the issue persists, you may place the computer in clean boot and check if the issue persists. Clean boot helps eliminate any third party software conflict.

Follow these steps to start the computer in clean boot.

Step 1:

a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b) In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.

c) Click the ‘Boot’ tab and uncheck ‘Safe Boot’ option.

d) On the ‘General’ tab, click to select the option ‘Selective startup’, and then click to clear the option Load startup items check box.

e) On the ‘Services’ tab, click to select the ‘Hide all Microsoft services’ check box, and then click ‘Disable all’.

f) On the ‘Startup’ tab, click ‘Open Task Manager’. In the Task Manager window under startup tab, right click on each startup item which are enabled and select ‘Disable’.

g) Click ‘OK’, and then click Restart.

Step 2: Enable half of the services

a. Follow steps 1a and 1b to start the System Configuration utility.

b. Click the Services tab, and then click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box.

c. Click to select half of the check boxes in the Service list.

d. Click OK, and then click Restart.

Step 3: Determine whether the problem returns

If the problem still occurs, repeat step 1 and step 2. In step 2, click to clear half of the check boxes that you originally selected in the Service list.

If the problem does not occur, repeat step 1 and step 2. In step 2, select only half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the Service list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.

If only one service is selected in the Service list, and you still experience the problem, the selected service causes the problem. Go to step 6. If no service causes this problem, go to step 4.

Step 4: Enable half of the Startup items

If no startup item causes this problem, a Microsoft service most likely causes the problem. To determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem, repeat step 1 and step 2 without selecting the Hide all Microsoft services check box in either step.

Step 5: Determine whether the problem returns

If the problem still occurs, repeat step 1 and step 4. In step 4, click to clear half of the check boxes that you originally selected in the Startup Item list.

If the problem does not occur, repeat step 1 and step 4. In step 4, select only half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the Startup Item list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.

If only one startup item is selected in the Startup Item list, and you still experience the problem, the startup item that is selected in the list is the service that is causing the problem. Go to step 6.

If no startup item causes this problem, a Microsoft service most likely causes the problem. To determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem, repeat step 1 and step 2 without selecting the Hide all Microsoft services check box in either step.

Step 6: Resolve the problem

After you determine the startup item or the service that causes the problem, contact the program manufacturer to determine whether the problem can be resolved. Or, run the System Configuration utility, and then click to clear the check box for the problem item.

Step 7:

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to boot to normal startup.

a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b) In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.

c) On the ‘General’ tab, click the ‘Normal Startup’ option, and then click ‘OK’.

d) When you are prompted to restart the computer, click ‘Restart’.

You may also visit the computer manufacture website and download the latest display and chipset drivers.

Also update the motherboard chipset drivers and check.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to help.

Rohit Chettri
Forum Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You can't be serious!    Where is the im/provement and innovation from Windows Explorer - except for learning how to reboot the system

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I tired your recommendations by running SFC but the problem exists.

The trying of enabling and disabling services was causing other issues so I stopped immediately.

I also found that if I go to task manager, and restart the file explorer, then things do return to normal but after a few minutes the problem begins.

I need a simpler solution.  Thanks for your time and help.

Regards,

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have purchased 3 windows 8 upgrade licenses, and all my installations have some issue or other. The File explorer issue seem to be across the PCs.

Totally dislike loosing the start button. The tiles displaying all the apps as title makes the screen look clumsy.

I wish I could go back to Windows 7. It get frustrating especially when we are not very tech savy but only wish to embrace new technology with the expectation that it would improve the user experience.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

@fredysb check out a company called Stardock.  They have an inexpensive solution returning the start button and booting to desktop.  They've been around a long time and have an excellent reputation.  I've been using it now for a while now and love it.  its the best $4.99 you'll spend for Windows 8.   here's the link ..  http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/  ... hope you enjoy it!

regards

Dave

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Rebooting the system brings everything back to normal.  Then the whole cycle repeats itself.

I am having exactly the same issue.  Instead of rebooting, I go to the start page and sign out and then sign back in.  This is a little faster than rebooting the machine.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Are you running Acronis True Image by any chance? 

I installed their latest version that is supposed to be compatible with Windows 8 and it occurred to me that this problem started about that time.

I used the SysInternals AutoRuns utility to disable all of the Acronis shell extensions and the problem seems to have cleared up (but given the random behavior of the problem, I will not be sure until I have a few more days of success).

Hanging when right clicking on files to popup a context menu is was one of the most consistent ways of causing the hang, so it would make sense that the issue was being caused by a third party context menu shell extension.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I un-installed the Acronis True Image and the problem has not come back.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I un-installed the Acronis True Image and the problem has not come back.

Good that it was a simple uninstall that fixed it.  Acronis has a bit of history here - it also disabled the Window 7 backup function which was difficult to restore, even after uninstalling Acronis.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

After reading some of the posts, I checked to see what I had installed recently.  Turns out it was Java, and as soon as I uninstalled it, File Explorer starting working perfectly.  Microsoft?  How about a solution to this? Using Windows 8.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 3,004 Applies to: