Why aren't all my files transferring from my USB drive to my HDD?

Just purchased a new Lenovo all-in-one with Windows 8, and I've really enjoyed learning to use Win8, but I'm having a very frustrating problem with copying my music collection from my 500 GB WD external USB HDD to my new PC.

I'm simply trying to drag and drop all of my music from the external drive to my music library.  "Properties" of the source folder shows it should be 914 files in 133 folders for a total size of 4.22 GB.

I "select all" then cntrl-C then cntrl-V in the destination and the copy moves along pretty quickly.  One odd thing is I get a couple errors about file names being not valid or too long, probably because these files have semicolons or question marks, but this is only a couple files and i skip them.

Before long, the transfer "completes", and the properties of the destination show 461 files in 88 folders with a total size of 2.25 GB; roughly half of the data I wanted to copy!

Any ideas on what could cause this?  Could odd characters in the file names cause 'silent' problems in a file transfer like this?  Could it be a problem with the drive?  I never noticed any problems using it before.

Thanks in advance!

LB

Question Info

Last updated August 1, 2018 Views 704 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi,

It could be the characters in the file name, and it may be that the file name is too long....

Not necessarily the actual file name possibly, but the combination of the file name, and how deep it is being buried in a Hard Drive folder...which when combined, can make the overall name quite long....

For instance...as an example...If your are getting the error trying to copy to

X:\ Documents\ Photos\ My Vacation, try instead X:\ Documents\ My Vacation....

or just X:\ My Vacation

You may or may not then be able to cut and paste to Photos

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.