Unable to open 7 zip

To start let me say I am not very tech type.  I can turn a computer on then things get iffy from there.  Here is my problem.  I made a back up disc of a previous computer.  It (the computer died) so I am now trying to reload back up data on to new laptop.  The files are 7 zip (whatever that  means) and I loaded them but I cannot open them.  A lot of them are pictures and a lot are scanned documents that I would like to be able to see.  Can anyone give me directions that even a simple man could follow and get these files open to look at?  Thanks for your help.

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community Forum and thank you for your post.

Please provide us following information to troubleshoot better:

How did you back up the data?

Do you get any error message while opening the zip file?

Based on the information you have provided it seems that the files that you are trying to open requires an application.

You can try opening the same files via Windows explorer which is windows feature via following steps:

1)  Right-click on top of the "Start" button on the bottom left hand side of your

computer to display a shortcut menu. Choose "Explore" from that shortcut menu to

open up Windows Explorer.

2) Use the file tree on the left hand side of Windows Explorer to browse to the drive

and compressed folder that you want to extract files from. The compressed folder

will show up on the right side of Windows Explorer once you have located it.

3) Right-click on top of the compressed folder to display the shortcut menu.

Choose"Open With" from the shortcut menu to open the Open With dialog box.

4) Verify that the compressed folder that you want to extract files from is selected in

the Open With dialog box.

5) Click the "OK" button to close the Open With dialog box and instruct Windows 7

to extract the files from that compressed folder.

6) Locate the files in Windows 7 that have been extracted from the compressed

folder. They are in the same location as the compressed folder was stored.

7) Close Windows Explorer by clicking “Close” from the File menu

Hope this helps. Please get back to us if you have any more questions. We are here to assist you.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

To start let me say I am not very tech type.  I can turn a computer on then things get iffy from there.  Here is my problem.  I made a back up disc of a previous computer.  It (the computer died) so I am now trying to reload back up data on to new laptop.  The files are 7 zip (whatever that  means) and I loaded them but I cannot open them.  A lot of them are pictures and a lot are scanned documents that I would like to be able to see.  Can anyone give me directions that even a simple man could follow and get these files open to look at?  Thanks for your help.

7zip is a program that opens zip files. You apparently had it installed on the old computer, but don't have it on the new laptop.  It's free. Go to http://www.7-zip.org/ and download and install it there.

Sorry this didn't help.

My old computer had windows 7.  My new computer has windows 8 or 8.1.  Here is what I did.  I made back up discs from old computer.  It died and I bought a new computer.  When I loaded backup disc from old computer on new computer, the files were labeled as being 7ZIP.  I cant open them to see them.  Every time I click open on a file it just goes to a new window or to a lower(?) file in a new window.  If I Zipped them while making original back up disc I didn't mean to and I have no idea how to undo this situation.  I just want to load back unto new computer and be able to use it.  When this is over I am going to use a back up service, because I don't know what I'm doing.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Please let us know if you tried suggestions provided by us .
Also you can try suggestions by  from Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP asked on November 11, 2013 .

Please revert with results.

Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

His help enabled me to open some of the files.  However, a lot of them are encoded or something and I'm still trying to read those.  It seems none of the options on decoding are working.  Thanks for all your help and interest in solving this problem. 

Sorry this didn't help.

thanks for your help.  I was able to open some of the files to  read.  Most of them are now encoded with some type of encrypted letters and are unable to be read.  I am trying to find out how to solve this problem now.

Sorry this didn't help.

This option did not work.  I was able to open some using Mr. Narang suggestion but am still working on un encrypting files.  I can not read most of them.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 24, 2020 Views 3,133 Applies to: