Planning for my Storage Space array

Hi.

I'm planning on upgrading my home file server with Storage Spaces because I always end up having to add disks to it, and I like having a single large logical disk instead of having to split my files between drives in fairly random ways.

Can someone please validate that the way I intend to go about it is OK ?

My server currently has 2x3TB, backed up to 2 external USB HDs. I'll be adding a 4TB HD, plus another one for backup. I'm getting a 4-drive external USB enclosure for the backups, since messing with 3 separate drives feels... messy.

My main concern is that I'll have to add disks to the storage space one-by-one. I'll start off with the backup disks:

1- Put new 4TB-1-backup disk in enclosure

2- create single-drive (for now) Storage Space on that 4TB-1-backup drive (no resiliency since it's non-critical media files and I back them up weekly)

3- move data from 3TB-1-backup to 4TB Storage Space

4- move 3TB-1-backup HD to enclosure, add it to the Storage Space (so 7GB-overhead). Data on it gets nuked but it's already on the 4TB Storage Space, and on the server.

5- repeat with 3TB-2-backup: move data to SS, add drive to SS (end up with 10GB-overhead, so around 9GB I guess ?)

6- wait a bit, test, test on other PC

7- repeat procedure with main data (not backups) with the 2 old 3TB and 1 new 4TB disks inside my server

Questions:

Is that a sound way to go about it ?

Will data automatically re-stripe when I add new drives ? If not, is there a manual command to force Storage Spaces to re-stripe the data amongst all drives ?

Thanks for your input,

Olivier

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 284 Applies to:

Hi Olivier,

The query you have posted is more suitable for TechNet Home Server forums as they handle issues with the computers connected to Windows Home Servers.

Please post your query in TechNet Forums, you may refer to the following link.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowshomeserver

Have a wonderful day.

Niyamath H Mohammed
Microsoft Community.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Oh well, I dropped it, I'll go with 3 distinct drives. I couldn't even fit a "regular" 3TB drive onto a "Storage Space" 4TB drive in "no resiliency" mode. More than 25% overhead for no resiliency doesn't sound like a good deal, on top of the impossibility of removing a drive once it has been added to the Storage Space, which was already bugging me.

Back to manual file peppering over several volumes !

Sorry this didn't help.

Nope, Storage Spaces is a regular "Windows 8 Home" feature, not a Windows Home Server one.

Dropped it anyway: not ready for prime time, and horrendous overhead.

Sorry this didn't help.