Network hardrive sync, in windows 8

Anyone out there sync files from pc to network hard drive with win 8? What apps do you use and how do you like them?  I've been looking at the app selection and seem to keep finding apps that will sync to the cloud but not a network hard drive. The few I did find cost money up front and I do not want to purchase software and find it does not do what I need it to do.  I do have the software that came with my network drive but I find it annoying because it runs constantly and "re-syncs" files that I have not altered.  Basically if I look at a photo or listen to a song it gets synced again.  I just want to sync files that have actually been changed or edited not just looked at. I used to use Sync mate to sync between my mac and pc and it worked great but now I have another pc so I am wanting to find a more simplified solution.  I was hoping to find an app for Windows 8 since the apps are supposed to be less noticeable when running in the background as opposed to normal programs.   My current equipment includes a windows 7 laptop and a windows 8 laptop and an old mac desktop along with a network usb hub with the hard drive connected to it.  I am currently thinking of upgrading to a true network hard drive but at this point I do not have one.
Answer
Answer

Hello Todd,

Ribbons is the new Windows 8 feature that has shortcuts in File Explorer and it looks similar to Microsoft Office top area. Attached is a picture of it.

In My computer it should look like this:

This was what I was referring to:

You can either manually type the Hard disk's device Internal IP address if you know it or simply slick browse.

Manually typing is for example if the Hard disk is on the internat and accessible via an external Static IP. Such as if you port forward your Hard disk, and you set your home's static IP to lets say ***.***.***.*** then if you were at work and you wanted to connect to your hard drive and say you set it to drive D, you could just type in \\***.***.***.***\D  but since this is within a home environment only then browsing is alot easier.

Both will work :)

Do let me know if you need further information and I would be glad to help you.

Best of wishes,

Nic

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 27, 2019 Views 5,890 Applies to: