jump lists - but how to access ?

Hi - in Win8 RP, in the properties of the Taskbar, there's a tab called "Jump lists" which gives options for storing recent "programs and other items", but where are these recent items to be found ?

I have Office 2010, and I know that right-clicking on Word's Taskbar Icon displays a list of recent word documents, and likewise for Excel etc, but I would like to see a combined recent files list like it used to be in previous versions of Windows

-Tom

Question Info

Last updated September 17, 2013 Views 45 Applies to:

Hi,

Please try the following steps to fix this issue:

Method 1: Please check the file association of Excel, Word and set it appropriately if needed.

Method 2: To work around this problem, re-associate the file types with the programs that you want to use to open the files. To do this, follow these steps:

a)     Right-click the file that you want to open in a particular program, and then click Open With.

b)    Click Select a program from a list, and then click OK.

c)     Click the program that you want to associate with the file.

d)    Click to select the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file check box.

e)     Click OK.

Let us know if it helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I think Mr Bhatt did not understand the question or your question was not the same as mine.  In  Vista you had the most recently used list enabled by default, also available as option in XP.  In Windows 7 they introduced the jump lists which gave you this feature for every program available in the Start Menu plus the option of the most recently used list.  A great step forward in Windows 7. Not just 10 items for all programs, but 10 (or more) for each program on your start menu.   It appears that with the Metro UI we have the lost one of the most productive tools we had with Vista and Windows 7.  Maybe they will make an app for that. 

So is the reference to Jump lists a hold over from 7 or a feature to be added to the Libraries screen.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.