I use Windows 8 Pro my desktop icons poofed overnight .

Any help?

I went to bed they were all there. I woke up to a blank screen and when I booted up my desktop icons had all gone away.

I cant drag and drop or add any either.

thanks, David

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 177 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi David,  

Welcome to Microsoft Community Forums.  

From the issue description, I understand that the desktop icons are missing.  

Follow these methods.  

I would suggest you to first, run a virus scanner and check.
Method 1: Perform a scan using Microsoft safety scanner and check if it is an infection that is causing this issue.
http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Note: The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again.
Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Method 2:  Also try Rebuilding the Icon Cache Database and check.
a. Close all folder windows that are currently open.

b. Launch Task Manager using the CTRL+SHIFT+ESC key sequence, or by running taskmgr.exe.

c. In the Details tab, click on the explorer.exe process and select End Process.

d. Click the End process button when asked for confirmation.

e. From the File menu of Task Manager, select New Task (Run…)

f. Type cmd.exe and click OK.

g. In the Command Prompt window, type the commands one by one and press ENTER after each command:
CD/d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
DEL IconCache.db /a
EXIT
h. In Task Manager, click File, select New Task (Run…)

i. Type EXPLORER.EXE, and click OK.

Method 3: If that does not help, I would suggest you to perform a system restore.

a) Press ‘Windows + R’ key to open ‘Run’.

b) In the ‘Run’ type ‘rstrui’. Click ‘OK’ to bring the ‘System Restore’ interface.

c) Following the steps as mentioned in the interface to restore the computer to a previous point.

Note: When you perform System Restore to restore the computer to previous state, programs and updates you installed are removed.

Hope this information helps.

For Windows related issue or anything related to Windows Operating System, feel free to contact us and we will be glad to help.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.