I can't open any of my libraries in Windows 8, why?

I just installed Windows 8 Pro on my desktop this afternoon.  I have been trying to get into my User Libraries (pictures, documents, etc), but whenever I double click on them nothing happens.  If I attempt to look at the properties for any given library the computer waits a few seconds, and then tells me the properties for this item are not available.

It's causing me problems loading my photographs into the new metro photos application, as well as installing some other applications which use the Documents library by default.

Question Info

Last updated February 24, 2019 Views 21,847 Applies to:
Answer
Hi Iannirem,

Welcome to Microsoft community. As per the problem description, I understand that, you have an issue with User Libraries. I would request to send us additional information as listed below to assist you better.
Are you logged onto Microsoft account or local user account?

I would suggest you to try these methods and check the issue status.

Method 1:

I would suggest you to perform System File Check (SFC), and then check if this fixes the issue.

Follow the steps:

a.       Press “Windows Key + Q” to open Charms Bar.

b.      Type “cmd” without quotes in the search box.

c.       On the left pane, right click on the “cmd” option and select “Run as Administrator”.

d.      Type “sfc /scannow” without quotes and hit enter.

Note: It may ask for windows installation DVD to fix and to enable SFC to make more than minor repairs. Some files saved on your computer might get deleted when fixing corrupted files.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to Reset Windows and then check if this fixes the issue.

Note: ‘Reset your PC’ option will erase all the data and programs installed on the computer and reset back to default.

Follow the steps mentioned below:

a.       Press “Windows key + W”.

b.      Type “Reset” and click on “Reset your PC”.

c.       Under “Reset your PC and start over”, click on ‘Get started’ and click next to “Reset the PC”.

If the issue still persists, I would request you to reply us with troubleshooting result to assist you further. We’ll be happy to assist you.

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.