How to change the file association which was set by mistake with an incorrect program?

Originali Title: delete file association

I have a file type (.HDP) which has accidentally become associated with Windows 'Movie Maker', which was offered as the first option to open the file.

I would like to reset it so that it has no default program associated with it.

I  am running Windows 8 Pro with Media Center

Intel i7 CPU 930 @ 2.8GHz

12.0GB Ram

64 bit operating system

How can I remove this association?

Hi,

The HDP file type is primarily associated with 'HDL Designer' by Mentor Graphics Corp. HDL Designer delivers solutions optimizing the design creation, synthesis and verification processes of advanced ASIC and FPGA designs in a team environment. So, if you have any application like HDL Designer or Magix Music/Video, you may associate this file type with that.

In order to change the file type association, you may refer to the section: “Associate a file type or protocol with a program” from the article “Choose the programs Windows uses by default” given in this link:

Choose the programs Windows uses by default

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/choose-programs-windows-uses-default

Hope this information is helpful. Please do get back to us, if you need any further information regarding this.

Regards,
Rajesh Govind - Microsoft Support Engineer

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hold down your Shift key.   Right click the file & you hopefully will see in the context menu that opens;      Open with...  that will allow you to change the default fairly easily.
~
Microsoft Bob came back after a 20 year makeover, and with a new name. Cortana!

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the reply, but I had already looked at the two file / program association options, but unless I am missing something neither enables me to reset the file to 'un-associated', I can only switch it to another program.

This is not what I wanted, as none of the proposed programs could open the file, and I believe it is an data file associated with a separate .mp4 file of the same name.

I am not sure what program generated it, as most od my .mp4 files do not have corresponding .HDP file.

In windows 7 a friend of mine somehow ended up with '.lnk' shortcut files associated with a specific program.

After a bit of investigation I was able to track this in the registry file and delete the association back to the original so that links opened the programs they were supposed to.

I have so far been unable to find a similar list of file associations in Windows 8 registry

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the thought, already tried it before I raised the question. the problem is I can change the association, not delete it, I want to reset it to no associated program, not change it to another.

In fact this is how I accidently associated it. I tried to find out the source of the program so I looked for a program to open it

Unfortunately l ended up with this setting the first program offered as the default (Movie Maker), but the file was not recognised and would not open. 

I have since tried all other programs offered  in the list, but none can open the file.

What I cannot do is select no program, I can only change it.

Thanks again for the response

Sorry this didn't help.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts

If the extension is there    export it before you delete it.

~
Microsoft Bob came back after a 20 year makeover, and with a new name. Cortana!

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2019 Views 1,266 Applies to: