How does Windows 7 Backup mode in Windows 8 work?

Hello folks!
after a hard drive failure that has cost me A LOT I decided to begin backing up my data efficiently. Been looking around for backup software and I have access to two. Norton 360's solution and Windows 8's tools (specifically, the « Windows 7 Backup »).

I have a question about the latter. When I set it up for the first time, it took a GREAT amount of time to complete (talking about more than 10 hours for just more than 300 GB). My backup choices were : User's libraries, C drive, system image. I also set it to run on a daily basis.

So what I want to know is will it take the same amount of time for the next scheduled backups or will it just complete the existing backup making the process quicker ?

I preferred this method instead of the others because it will basically make recovering from failures very easy (I'll just have to restore the image and voilà!).

Thank you!
Answer
Answer

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. 

I understand that, you want if second time scheduled back up will take 10 hours.

Normally 300GB of data will take more time to backup. Don’t worry, from the next scheduled backup, it will take less time because it will back up the changes made to the file not the complete data. It is also called as incremental backup.

Windows 7 Backup and Restore deprecated (Windows)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh848073(v=vs.85).aspx

Hope this helps. If the issue persists or any Windows related queries or issues related to Windows Operating system, please get back to us. We are here to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 661 Applies to: