How do you stop Windows 8 from deleting the thumbnail cache at every restart?

Every time I shutdown on my Windows 8 laptop, the system deletes my thumbnail cache.  I have a very large folder with videos and pictures that I like to browse via thumbnail image, and having to rebuild the images each time I restart is time consuming and annoying.  This problem never occurred on my old Vista laptop and is counter-intuitive to the entire point of having a cache at all.  Further, I have not changed any system or folder settings, nor have I been using any programs or features that erase the cache such as CCleaner or Disk Cleanup.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.  

Hi Steven,

The thumbnail cache can be deleted when optimization software or tools like Disk Clean are run.

1. Is there a third party disk cleanup software installed on the computer?
2. What is the configuration of the computer?

Please follow the methods to fix the issue:

Method 1:

Rebuild Icon Cache

To Rebuild icon cache follow the below mentioned steps -

1. Open Folder Options to select (dot) Show hidden files and folders.

2. Open a Windows Explorer window.

3. Go to C:\Users\(User Name)\AppData\Local
4. Right click on IconCache.db and click on Delete.

5. Click on Yes to confirm the deletion.

NOTE: This deletes the file to the Recycle Bin. It is safe to empty the Recycle Bin when finished.

6. Close the window.

7. Empty the Recycle Bin.

8. Restart the computer.

9. When you go back, you will notice the Size of the IconCache.db file is smaller, and the Date Modified is now the current date. (See screenshot below)

NOTE: If for some reason IconCache.db is not there or the size has not changed much, then just restart the computer again. You may need to restart a couple of times in some cases.

10. The icon cache has been rebuilt.

Method 2:

By default, IconCache.db is the hidden file.

You need to unhide the file and Navigate to C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\

Locate the following file IconCache.db and rename it to IconCache.db.old

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Karthik, thank you for your efforts, but the proposed fix did not resolve my problem.  

First, I do not have any system optimization programs running and my computer is new Dell 15R laptop with standard Windows 8 which I have not yet tweaked or optimized in any way.  I have also not used any programs that would delete the thumbnails such as Disk Cleanup or CCleaner.

I believe that rebuilding my thumbnail cache is the problem, not the solution.  I want to computer to maintain the thumbnail cache after shutdown.  On my old Vista laptop, the thumbnail cache was maintained and I never needed to rebuild all my thumbnails each time I viewed my folders containing hundreds of video and picture files.  It is normal for Windows 8 to purge or delete the thumbnail cache upon shutdown and then rebuild the thumbnail images as may be necessary upon restart then viewing a particular folder?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm a digital scrapbooker and have many GBs of picture files. I was having the same problems with my system rebuilding the thumbnail cache. Upon doing a quick search at my favorite tip site, Addictive Tips, I found this article very helpful http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/prevent-windows-8-file-explorer-from-deleting-images-thumbnail-cache/

Hopefully it helps you too!

Sorry this didn't help.

If you did not read the question/problem of the user entirely,

or if you did not understand what the problem is,

Then you'd better don't reply at all (instead of doing a copy/paste of something that is the opposite of solving the problem).

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 12, 2019 Views 5,274 Applies to: