How do I undo a move in Win 8?

I dragged some files and folders to another folder in File Explorer.  I couldn't find them there so I must have dropped them in the wrong folder.  I could find no way to undo the MOVE so I could get the files back to where they were before I did the MOVE.  How do you do an UNDO MOVE, UNDELETE, REDO MOVE, etc in Win 8?

Question Info

Last updated October 1, 2018 Views 26,387 Applies to:
I dragged some files and folders to another folder in File Explorer.  I couldn't find them there so I must have dropped them in the wrong folder.  I could find no way to undo the MOVE so I could get the files back to where they were before I did the MOVE.  How do you do an UNDO MOVE, UNDELETE, REDO MOVE, etc in Win 8?

Hi

If you are using a Keyboard.

Undo= Ctrl+Z

Redo= Ctrl+Y

The Undo command will also Undelete.

In Windows 8 File Explorer, look at the left side on the Title Bar and you will see a Quick Access Toolbar.

Click the Down Arrow on that toolbar and you can select the Undo and Redo options to make those options visible on the toolbar.

Regards

MVP 1999 - Present
Windows Insider MVP

18 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

OK - I figured out how to display the QUICK ACCESS TOOLBAR in File Explorer which has icons which are the same as Ctrl+Z and Ctrl+Y.  The problem is that these commands do not work when I try them.   For example, I drag a test file from the root of C:\ and drop it in C:\Windows, press Ctrl+Z (or click on the UNDO icon in the QUICK ACCESS TOOLBAR) and the file does not move back to C:\.  I have admin privileges, so maybe there is a setting I need to make to activate these functions (maybe in Group Policy).  Do you have any idea why I can't seem to do a simple task that I have been doing since Win 3.1.1? 

I have run into other similar minor problems with some of the functions in XP or 7 that don't seem to work in Win 8.  Here's another example of these types of problems - I want to create a TXT file in a folder and right click in the right pane of File Explorer, click on NEW and the only option is FOLDER.  What happened to all the items that used to appear in that dropdown list like Text Document, Excel Spreadsheet, Word Document, etc?  These programs are installed and should appear in this list.

All these kind of problems reminds me of the types of problems I had when I tried VISTA for the first time [which I never adopted].  Maybe we should rename Win 8 as Vista 8.

Sorry this didn't help.

OK - I figured out how to display the QUICK ACCESS TOOLBAR in File Explorer which has icons which are the same as Ctrl+Z and Ctrl+Y.  The problem is that these commands do not work when I try them.   For example, I drag a test file from the root of C:\ and drop it in C:\Windows, press Ctrl+Z (or click on the UNDO icon in the QUICK ACCESS TOOLBAR) and the file does not move back to C:\.  I have admin privileges, so maybe there is a setting I need to make to activate these functions (maybe in Group Policy).  Do you have any idea why I can't seem to do a simple task that I have been doing since Win 3.1.1? 

I have run into other similar minor problems with some of the functions in XP or 7 that don't seem to work in Win 8.  Here's another example of these types of problems - I want to create a TXT file in a folder and right click in the right pane of File Explorer, click on NEW and the only option is FOLDER.  What happened to all the items that used to appear in that dropdown list like Text Document, Excel Spreadsheet, Word Document, etc?  These programs are installed and should appear in this list.

Hi

Some of the procedures you are describing are normal and have not changed since Windows 7.

For example, right clicking in a protected system folder (root of C:, Program Files, Windows folder, etc) will only show the New/Folder option. This is part of the security enhancements that were implemented after Windows XP.

Also an Administrator account runs as a normal Standard user account. If you want to perform an administrator action, you must Elevate that action using UAC (User Account Control). if UAC has been disabled, then there is no way to elevate these actions. In most cases, Keyboard Shortcuts such as Undo, Redo, etc, will not work with these actions.

Regards

MVP 1999 - Present
Windows Insider MVP

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This worked great, thank you. 

And with the complicated keyboard option there's no need for Microsoft to make an icon available to simply click on!

Sorry this didn't help.

there's no need for Microsoft to make an icon available to simply click on!

Yes there is. Sometimes my keyboard disconnects or breaks, or I may have no hands and using an eye-tracker to look at the undo button's icon. Or here's the most common/usual realistic use case: My left hand is under my desk while the right is on the mouse. I'm not lifting my left hand to execute a simple keyboard shortcut as long as a convenient undo button (icon) is on the screen and within easy reach of my right handed mouse.

All jokes aside I almost always use CTRL+Z. Clicking is a shameful action for the elite keyboard warriors and shortcut wizards.

p.s.: Why was I subscribed to this topic? I haven't contributed yet (before this post) and see no "Me too" or "mark as helpful" actions that I have had taken.

http://3ice.hu/

Sorry this didn't help.