File History Appears To Be Missing Folders

I turned on File History yesterday and it says "Files last copied on 1/21/2013 6:01 PM" so I think that it has completed the back up.  I happened to look at the FileHistory folder on the back up drive and noticed that some of the subfolders seemed to have a slightly lower file count than I expected.  I looked a little closer and noticed that some of the subfolders under My Documents on my C drive don't show up in the corresponding subfolder in the FileHistory folder on the back up drive.  However, when I click on "History" in the ribbon of File Explorer on that folder on the C drive all of the subfolders are listed and I can right click on each and see the "Restore" option.  Are these folders backed up?  If so, why can't I see them in the FileHistory folder on the back up drive?  Are some of the files and folders in that "$OF" folder rather than the "C" folder on the backup drive.  Lastly, how can I double check that everything is fully backed up?  There are thousands of folders and nearly 500 GB of files so checking each subfolder individually isn't really an option.

Question Info

Last updated October 2, 2019 Views 6,031 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Dansu,

Thank you for posting your question in Microsoft Community.

I understand that File History appears to be missing some folders. Correct me if I am wrong.

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will try to help you in fixing the issue.

Please follow the steps in the below links and check the issue:

How to use File History:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/how-use-file-history

What if something goes wrong in File History?:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/what-something-goes-wrong-file-history

Set up a drive for File History:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/set-drive-file-history

How to work with files and folders:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/files-folders-windows-explorer

Search for files in File Explorer:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/search-file-explorer

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly.

In future if you come across any issues regarding Windows, please feel free to post your query here on Microsoft Community, we will be more than happy to assist you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Just unmarked as answer.  I haven't had the time to read all of this yet but I will soon.  However, I think that I asked some pretty specific questions in the original post and I am disappointed that I just get this "canned" response.  Can you please address those questions?

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I backed up to an external hard drive and had this same problem.  I know I had it because I went to restore a file and it wasn't there.  I am now just copying the files off my C: drive and then pasting them into my external hard drive.  It takes about a minute to paste the whole group as I have about 5 gigabytes worth, but it worth it to know that I can restore my files if I need to.  To restore files, I just copy them on the external hard drive and paste them into the folder that I want them in.
My Tech Blog: http://hosch250.wordpress.com/

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Are you there Mahesh B G?  I read all of the resources that you provided.  None of them address any of the issues that I raised in this thread.  There are still folders that are not appearing in FileHistory folder on the back up drive.  In fact, it is worse than I thought.  I just opened File History and found out that it has not run since 1/22/2013 6:41 PM.  Plenty of files have been modified and even added since then.  I have things set to run hourly.  There is over 2 TB of free space on the backup dive.  I even checked the File History event log and there is a single entry from 1/21/2013 1:23 AM:

File was not backed up due to being open by an application:

C:\Users\Dan\SkyDrive\.lock

Windows will attempt to back up the file at a later time.

Mahesh, if you can't provide comprehensive help with this situation, where can I go to get that support?

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Are you there Mahesh B G?  I read all of the resources that you provided.  None of them address any of the issues that I raised in this thread.  There are still folders that are not appearing in FileHistory folder on the back up drive.  In fact, it is worse than I thought.  I just opened File History and found out that it has not run since 1/22/2013 6:41 PM.  Plenty of files have been modified and even added since then.  I have things set to run hourly.  There is over 2 TB of free space on the backup dive.  I even checked the File History event log and there is a single entry from 1/21/2013 1:23 AM:

File was not backed up due to being open by an application:

C:\Users\Dan\SkyDrive\.lock

Windows will attempt to back up the file at a later time.

Mahesh, if you can't provide comprehensive help with this situation, where can I go to get that support?

I have exactly the same problem. Missing folders and File History stopped for over a week! I received no notifications that File History wasn't running successfully. I only discovered it after reading your post and then examining the backup log. It has a number of errors and warnings similar to yours.

The errors are

Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configurations C:\Users......

File/Directory not backed up due to being encrypted or insufficient permissions.

(I run on an administrator account)

One thing I have discovered was that when I scanned the drive for errors (the storage space is actually 4 physical drives), Windows identified and fixed some errors. (It didn't identify the physical; drive) I had received no notification of errors with any of the discs in the Storage Space and the status of the storage space was Good throughout!! 

I'm feeling very uncomfortable now that what I'd thought was a great feature, is actually a liability.

Sorry this didn't help.

The how_use_file_history video isn't anything like what I see on Windows 8.  Searching for file history finds nothing.  There is a file history in the control panel but it isn't anything like what is shown in the video.

Sorry this didn't help.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15155

Microsoft Sync Toy .. might help somebody.

~
Microsoft Bob came back after a 20 year makeover, and with a new name. Cortana!

Sorry this didn't help.

Just like to say that I'm suffering a similar problem with some folders simply not being copied with no warnings or anything, which makes me lose all confidence in this feature as a backup solution. If anyone has managed to find out any fixes or anything in the interim I'd appreciate knowing.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

That would be helpful, but it is slow to the point of being useless. A quick search shows that to be another common problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem - searched for files on external drive, and they weren't recorded (yet?). Why doesn't File History have a Progress Bar, or at least report back to me after I first invoke the service and tell me that it's finished with the first pass and has now recorded ALL the files I asked it to track???? There's no way to know whether it's working or not unless/until you need a file, and discover that it's not there for you. C'mon Microsoft - give us an answer, and don't tell us to go read the **** we all read before we even invoked File History in the first place.

Sorry this didn't help.