Error message MSWINSCK.OCX or one if it's dependencies not correctly registered: A file is missing or invalid.

I keep getting this error message when I'm trying to use a downloaded app. I can't find my MSWINSCK.OCX in my file:///C:/Windows/System32/ if I don't have it in there how do I add it and fix this problem?

Question Info

Last updated October 8, 2018 Views 3,127 Applies to:

Hi,

Welcome to the Microsoft forums where you can find answers for all your Windows related queries.

You have mentioned that you are getting the error message “MSWINSCK.OCX or one if it's dependencies not correctly registered” when you try to use a downloaded app. We’ll help you with this issue.

Just a few questions first, to get a clear picture of the issue;

1)      What is the downloaded app that you are trying to run?

2)      Do you get this error message only when you try to run that particular app?

3)      What happens when you open that app? Does it work or goes back to start screen?

The program MSWINSCK.OCX is an Active X controller. This program might be required for that particular app to run. If that program is corrupted or missing or unregistered, you might get this error message. I would suggest you to try these steps and check.

Method 1: SFC scan

System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Refer to these steps to perform a SFC scan:

a)      Press Windows key + X, select Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated command prompt

b)      In the command prompt type the following command: “sfc/scannow” and press enter

c)       Now, restart the computer.

Method 2: Re-install the app

Refer the steps mentioned under “Reinstall the app” section in this link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/what-troubleshoot-problems-app

Method 3:

If the SFC scanner didn’t identify any errors, then I would suggest you to follow these steps and check

a)      Press Windows key + X, select command prompt (admin)

b)      Type regsvr32 "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Mswinsck.ocx” and press enter

c)       This should usually register the “MSWINSCK.OCX” program. If you get an error message saying that the module can’t be found, then you will have to manually download the file “MSWINSCK.OCX” and then register it.

You can search for the file in search engines or you can copy it if you have access to another Computer.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please gt back to us and we’d be happy to help.

Cheers,
Ben.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I downloaded MSWINSCK.OCX but I still can't register it. It says: The module "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Mswinsck.ocx" failed to load. Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files. The specified module could not be found.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.